Cannot add a microsoft account to domain account with roaming profiles RRS feed

• Question

• When I go to the account settings screen and clicke the "Add a Microsoft account" link then for a split-second the Sign-In screen with turning dots and the text "Just a moment..." shows up and then immediately disappears again. There is no prompt for username/password.

When I try to sign in by opening the Windows Store, then I can select the "Microsoft Account" option. I am prompted for username and password then but after confirming I get an error saying "We encountered an error. Please try signing in again later".

If I do the same in the Microsoft Feedback application I first get the same (grey/white) sign-in window as in the Store app but after entering user/password I get forwarded to a blue windows titled "Add your Microsoft Account" where I can enter e-mail address and password again. After doing so the Feedback app remains empty for very long time until it starts displaying the feedback form. It looks like it's waiting for some timeout.

Somehow it happened once that my Microsoft Account suddenly appeared listed in the account settings panel. In this state the Store app provides a clickable account on the sign-in button. However with no change on functionality, when clicked it asks for Password and then displays the same error as above "We encountered an error. Please try signing in again later".

I have just done a clean install of the new 1511 release (build 10586.3), joined it to the domain, logged in with the domain account and got the roaming profile correctly downloaded. But the issue remains. The "Add a Microsoft account" link opens the "Just a moment..." Window for a split second before it disappears without any error message.

Any idea how to debug or fix the issue?

• Edited by Rainer Meier Saturday, November 14, 2015 9:55 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 10:22 PM

All replies

• I did some further quick testing.

1. I have added a new test account "testuser" to the domain.
    2. The user was not assigned a profile path (no roaming profiles)
    3. Log in using this user account

With this account I could go to the account settings, click the "Add a Microsoft account" and I would see the "Add a Microsoft account" dialog popping up where I can enter e-mail and password.

I did not add an account then and cancelled the process.

Then I performed the following steps:

1. Log out windows user
    2. Go to "Active Directory Users and Computers on Domain controller
    3. Open properties of "testuser" account
    4. In "Profile" tab I have inserted a roaming profile path: %LOGONSERVER%\profile\folder
    5. Then I logged in again on the client

And guess what... The "Add a Microsoft account" dialog immediately closes without any message.

So obviously some bug prevents adding a Microsoft account to roaming-profile enabled accounts. If this is not a bug I am curious to see the explanation why roaming profiles should block adding a Microsoft account.

Moreover if this was done on purpose why isn't there any proper error message displayed that this functionality is not available or why isn't the "Add a Microsoft account" link hidden entirely. So I expect this to be clearly a bug. Perhaps some junior-programmer does not know about this basic and handy functionality which is there for domain-managed accounts since Windows NT times I believe. I still love this very simple functionality which allows me to switch between my PC and Laptop while synchronizing all my data and settings.

And no, I don't think settings synchronization via Cloud is a good option. First of all roaming profiles synchronizes on my local server and allows me to keep gigabytes of data in Documents etc. in sync and it includes ALL settings including user registry, AppData\Roaming (including traditional desktop application settings) and therefore allows me to do a full syncrhonization of all data and settings unlike the Microsoft account synchronization which basically works for some Windows settings and apps but not for Desktop Apps like Firefox Profiles, Thunderbird Profiles, FileZilla, Blender and other configuration files in AppData\Roaming.

I have also tried to remove the roaming profile path from the domain profile again and this restores the functionality to add a Microsoft account - but obviously it breaks roaming profiles of course.

So please fix this bug!

Friday, November 13, 2015 10:51 PM
  • After some extended testing I found it does not make any difference whether roaming profiles are enabled by adding a profile path to the user properties or assigning roaming profiles via group policy. In both cases it's impossible to link a Microsoft Accuont when roaming profiles are enabled.

I really think this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Saturday, November 14, 2015 9:57 AM
  • Hi Rainer,

Thank you for your sharing and update.

I will take a further research on this topic, there might be some time delay before I sharing the test result.

Appreciate your patience.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 16, 2015 10:02 AM
  • Very good. Let me know if you need further information.

Meanwhile I have been able to add a Microsoft account on an AD user with roaming profiles enabled. But I had to click the "Add an account" button in my account settings and then add an outlook.com account. During the process it also asks for the Microsoft account which magically gets persisted.

However this method will likely not work for users which do not have an outlook.com address but use their own personal e-mail account as a Microsoft account without using Microsoft Outlook.com services.

If you're going to set up a simple AD environment with roaming profiles you might have a look at some other glitches which are very irritating:

• When roaming to another workstation on first sign-in the profile is properly fetched but start page pinned items are lost, it presents the default apps pinned. Not even classic desktop application pinning is persisted. This is really bad as roaming profiles are supposed to persist the user environment and up to Windows 7 at least all start menu items and pinned items were properly roamed to a new PC. Obviously Windows 10 does not store this data in roaming profile which is bad as it's not the idea of roaming profiles having to re-configure the start page on each machine I log in.
    • On first login after roaming profile is downloaded the start page "most used" area and also the buttons are empty. Windows 10 just shows the "power" and "All Apps" buttons. Other buttons are missing, including File Explorer, Settings and eventually enable Documents, Pictures etc. After signing out again and logging on again the buttons are populated. I tlooks to me like explorer/cortana-app are loading their data while windows still transfers the roaming profile data and therefore need a refresh. Obviously this refresh is not triggered after finalizing profile transfer. This is very inconvenient for users having to log-in, log-out and re-login again to get their profile working.
    • On roaming profiles it looks like very often the cortana search-app is crashing:

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d66d
    Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d920
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x00000000006fcd2b
    Faulting process id: 0x196c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d120b2f80a696d
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
    Report Id: 0ec65a9e-4cd6-4659-a797-2afb7a58d432
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.6.1.52_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

I could not find a solution to this yet. As a result of the crashes sometimes the start page opens with a delay of some seconds and it cannot find all applications. For example I have installed Office 2016 and search cannot locate any of its applications.

Moreover this damn crashes clutter the event log (crash logged every time start is opened) and fill up the filesystem as on each crash it writes a log to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive.

Also Cortana seems not to search for user start-menu items roaming with the profile in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu which makes it nearly impossible for the user to roam with custom shortcuts.

I can open trheads for each of these issues and a couple of more I found. But I doubt Microsoft even cares about corporate users any more. To me it looks like developers were focussing on nice, fancy tablet features and they have no clue any more about basic features and corporate functions. This lines up very well with non-features like the incapability of modifying the pinned apps using scripts (WSH/PS) and dumb issues like Skype cluttering %AppData% (Roaming) folder with gigabytes of temporary files which should go to %LocalAppData%. And yes, this is a Microsoft product now.

I hope those things get fixed soon but I think I will have to stick with Windows 10 for professional customers while I look for adequate replacement.

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Just like to say I see the same behavior.

Windows 10 Threshold 2, Roaming profile cannot run "Add a Microsoft Account"

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 3:37 PM
  • Just like to say I see the same behavior.

Windows 10 Threshold 2, Roaming profile cannot run "Add a Microsoft Account"

Do you also have the problem that some store apps crash immediately on a roaming profile? The issue might be related as well.

When I first log in with an empty user profile on a Windows 10 machine I see the overly-long welcome and preparation screens. After this the user is logged in and everything seems to work fine. Then when the user logs out (and roaming profile is synced to the server) and then logged in again some apps like Edge and Cortana crash. For Edge it opens the main window for a second and then crashes with some RPC activation error logged in event log.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:15 PM
  • Yes I also have the roaming profile problem with Edge, Money, News etc crashing on launch.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 11:26 AM
  • Hi Rainer,

Apologize for the late reply.

I tested under my side.

The add a Microsoft Account works under Windows 10 build 10586, with Roaming profile enabled under Active Directory Testing Environment, but for Windows 10 build 10240 enterprise LTSB evaluation copy , it behaves just like you encountered.

For the app crash, please run the command below:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Meanwhile, make sure Windows 10 10586 build is up-to-date.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by T. Ickes Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:16 AM
  • First of all: Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately this does not really help at all.

Yes I do use Windows 10 build 10586 with all updates applied. It was updated before it was joined to the domain. However I noticed also Microsoft is confused what they released. I am a MAPS subscriber and found that in my MAPS subscription initially I only got Windows 10 Enterprise RTM provided (I think it's build 10240). With this version I could also not add Microsoft accounts.

Then on release of Windows 10 version 1511 (build 10586) it was not available to MAPS subscribers yet but Microsoft has updated the media creation tool. Now it seems that this version only creates 1 image for Windows 10 Home & Professional. Installing it without providing a key confirms this (asks whether Home & Pro should be installed).

So I have downloaded 64-bit the ISO using the media creation tool and installed this with Windows 10 Pro keys. Meanwhile I found that in my MAPS subscription I could download ISO images for Windows 10 Pro as well. And guess what, they are different than what is downloaded via media creation tool. I thought they only might differ in the fact that the images do not contain Windows 10 Home. The difference is easily recognizable by the fact that the sources/ folder contains "install.wim" on the MAPS ISO Image for Win 10 Pro and it contains "install.esd" on the edition downloaded by the media creation tool.

To complete the confusion Microsoft has withdrawn build 10586 version 1511 completely from the media creation tool. It's not available any more without any further notice or information.

I might have to try re-staging all my installations with the MAPS ISO to verify but there is no indication that the build downloaded via media creation tool should behave differently.

As reported I have been able to add a Microsoft account meanwhile via the button to add a calendar. Though the "Add a Microsoft Account" link still opens a self-closing window only.

Moreover the command you provided is posted all around the internet where any sort of problems with apps are reported where nobody seems to have a solution for. Seems for me like a "shoot in the dark" which occasionally solves problems but often leaves the user with broken apps and no further support (like in this case). Perhaps admins should add this script to logon scripts of users - even though it's not clear to me and did not get reported whether this should be executed with elevated privileges (which normal users don't have) or not. Since the command you poste includes the "-AllUsers" switch I suspect it should perhaps be executed with elevated privileges. But for me it did not solve anything, no matter if executed on local admin account with elevated privileges or in the context of unprivileged domain account. And please do not even try to suggest executing it with elevated privileges on non-privileged domain account.

So I am still left with crashing apps and cortana with lagging start menu (crashes reported in event log) and I also found live tiles not working and instead just displaying static/generic tile.

While looking for a solution to the app crashes I was quite shocked how many people around the net seem to experience the same issues while most often the the script provided by you is proposed and in most of the cases users were not able to solve the problem. Another common suggestion is to start over with a new user profile. I tried both and it seems app only work until users log out and re-login with the roaming profile. One thing which you did not clearly specify is: Did you create the roaming profile on the machine you made the screenshots of? I am asking because I see that on the machine where the profile is first created Windows of course also creates the complete %LocalAppData% tree and potentially other data. But when you roam to a clean PC and log on with a roaming profile (where the profile already exists on server side) Windows fails to create the complete profile. On Windows 8 for example Windows forgets to deploy the WinX folder in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft location which leaves the Win+X Menu broken. It works fine on the machine where the profile was created, but when roaming to another machine those folders are not re-created (and yes, since they are local, they are not roaming to the new machine).

Perhaps P Crowther will report as well whether this solves the problem for him.

Meanwhile I will proceed stopping all Windows 10 efforts at customers I service. Working on alternative solutions.

I will try on one test machine to install Windows 10 Pro build 10586 version 1511 from MAPS ISO image rather than ISO image downloaded via media creation tool but I got little hope that this will work any better.

EDIT: Small additional note... I have checked the MAPS download page and found that the download provided for Windows 10 Professional there also reverted to publish date 29.07.2015 which is likely RTM build 10240.
    Strange enough the download for Windows 10 Enterprise dates at 16.11.2015 which indicates it's still build 10586. When I click download I can fetch both:

- Windows 10 Enterprise (Released Jul '15) 64 Bit English
    - Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1511 (Released Nov '15) 64 Bit English

When I click download on Windows 10 Professional I am also offered two options:

- Windows 10 Professional (X20-08980)
    - Windows 10 Professional Version 1511 (Released Nov’15) 64 Bit English (X20-75647)

So it looks like version 1511 is still available there. But not via media creation tool.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:05 AM
  • This is just to confirm that the command posted

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Does not work when executed in user context:

Get-AppxPackage : Access is denied.
    Access is denied.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopme ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-AppxPackage], UnauthorizedAccessException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.GetAppxPackageCommand

It works when the "-AllUsers" argument is removed from the Get-AppxPackage cmdlet.

However it does not fix anything. Edge, Cortana, Weather... they all still crash as before.

The command can however be executed in elevated powershell with admin privileges, but this will be done then in different user context (local Administrator) and not in domain-user context as domain-users do not have local admin privileges.

However the comamnd also did not fix anything when executed in elevated local-administrator context. Thea apps still crash.

Note that the apps do not crash globally, just within the roaming user profile environment. Wne logging in to a local account the apps work just fine. As soon as a roaming-profile user logs on the apps crash.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:21 PM
  • One more note: I had a closer look at your winver screenshot and noticed one thing. On your Screenshot I can read

Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.3)
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

While on my Windows 10 Professional it reads as follows:

Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.11)
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I get this on two machines having Windows 10 Pro installed. As said earlier one machine is set up using the ISO image fetched from the media creation tool (which obviously got withdrawn) and one machine I just set up from sratch using ISO image from MAPS download. While I already noticed that the ISO from MAPS is different than the ISO fetched by the media creation tool the version string seems to be identical.

Though not sure if you noticed above (yes, it's not a typo) my versions seem to be build 10586.11 while yours in the lab seems to be 10586.3. Even more weird you're telling me that I should make sure to install the latest patches.

Even more strange when I look at the copyright notice. My one with otviously higher build number of 10586.11 has copyright notice of 2015 while yours with build 10586.3 has a copyright notice of 2016. Small detail but somehow the builds seem not to be identical.

I am really confused and I think Microsoft is confused as well about their releases. Did Microsoft mix up the releases? Why does my Windows have build 10586.11 (both, from media creation tool and MAPS) while yours are on 10586.3? What is the explanation to this other than Microsoft mixing up with releases provided to the public?

I will be ready in a short while testing roaming profiles on this freshly installed and fully patched Windows 10 Pro (ISO downloaded just today from MAPS).

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:19 PM
  • I just finished additional testing:

• Installed Windows 10 Pro from MAPS ISO, build 10586.11
    • Installed ALL available Windows Updates
    • NO additional software installed at all
    • Then the machine is joined to the domain

When I log in with a user "testuser" which has roaming profiles enabled then I see the following issues:

• On first login the profile is fetched from the server (OK)
    • Start menu left side section is empty (not OK)
    • Only "Test user" on top left and "Power" and "All apps" buttons are visible in left column of start menu (not OK, File Explorer, Settings and most used applications list missing)
    • Live tiles show static placeholder for a while, though Edge and other apps can be launched. After some time the live tiles become active and work as expected.
    • Cortana and start menu search work.
    • In Uset settings the "Add a Microsoft account" link opens a grey window which turns white and displays "Just a moment..." for a split second before it automatically closes (not OK)

Then I signed out from "testuser" and immedately signed in again. Now I see this:

• Start menu left side section displays user (top left), File Explorer, Settings, Power, All apps - but no most used applications but this is quite ok.
    • Edge crashes with the famous "remote procedure call failed" message of event ID 5973 logged. No error message displayed to the user though, the main window just closes silently.
    • The weather live tile and other live tiles seem to work currently.
    • But I found the "Sports", "Money", "News" apps crashing with exception code 0xc000027b as well.
    • I will try to install applications. Before Cortana started to crash after deploying all applications (lots) and it was unable to locate newly installed applications.
    • I could however successfully launch the phone companion, 3d builder, candy crush soda saga, contacts, get started, groove music, maps, mail, messaging, microsoft solitaire collection, microsoft wi-fi, movies & TV, news, onenote, people, phone, photos, search, settings, store, sway, twitter, voice recorder, weather, windows feedback and xbox application. I didn't use them really but at least they did not just immediately close.
    • App updates in Store seem not to work properly. It dispplays 26 pending updates in the queue and a list of apps with "Update available" shown in every row. It does not download any of them. But when I click the download button manually it immediately changes the "Update available" value to "Try that again See details" and the See details link brings up a brilliant window:
      Title: Try that again
      Content: Try that again, something went wrong.
      Subtitle: The error code is 0x800704C6, in case you need it.

I mean... seriously? Who is designing such dialogs?

btw. in event logs I see hundreds of event ID 1001 with "fault bucket, type 0 and 5 logged with event name "WindowsUpdateFailure3".

Looks like this time I am provided with less crashing apps. Honestly I don't care about any of them except cortana which seems to be important to use the start menu search.

I think I will not even bother installing production software on this and just give up.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:02 PM
  • I think I already spent too much time with this. However I found some strange behavior.

First of all it's important to know that when you roam from one machine to another the %LocalAppData% path is NOT included and needs to be generated locally. It looks to me like the %LocalAppData%\Packages folder encounters some problems when using roaming profiles.

In particular I found that when I remove the %LocalAppData%\Packages folder then every store app crashes. I can re-register the apps in user-space by running the following on powershell:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

This works fine if I completely clean out the %LocalAppData%\Packages folder of the domain user from a local Admin account.

Though after another sign-out and sign-in Edge starts to crash again.

I tried the following to re-register Edge:

Get-AppxPackage -Name *.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

The command succeeds without any error but Edge still crashes.

But here the strange thing comes in... If I modify the edge package folder by removing a folder (in my attempts I have removed the EMPTY folder "%LocalAppData\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\TempState") and then re-run the register command:

Get-AppxPackage -Name *.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    Then Edge starts to work again magically until next sign-out and re-sign-in.

I can't see a clear reason behind this but I am quite sure there is a bug. Perhaps roaming profile sign-in changes something n permissions or related user registry setting. Although it's strange that re-registering solves the problem. But it only solves the problem if the folder is touched by removing parts of it first, else it won't fix it on re-register although it reports success. I can also not remove the package and re-register it as windows keeps telling me that edge is a system app and can only be removed by administrators by turning windoes features on or off.

Therefore the following does NOT work:

Get-AppxPackage -Name *.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Remove-AppxPackage}

I would even have added this to logon scripts or provide a script to users to run as required. But I see no way yet to get this fixed and fixing it on every sign-in is surely not a solution.

One might write a powershell script which is kind of touching all packages (removing the TempState folder seems to work) and then re-registering all the packages. Though this might fail for applications which currently run and it is adding tremendous processing effort on each login. I don't want to re-register all apps on every login.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:30 AM
  • Similar findings regarding broken app registration here.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:19 PM
  • Things are even getting worse.

I have run the provided script which is proposed in many locations here on the forum and around the internet:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Now all my modern apps seem to be totally broken. My start menu is full of entries in the form

@{xxxx}
    e.g.
    @{Microsoft.BingWeather._..}
    @{Microsoft.WindowsStore_...}

None of them can be launched any more. Including store. Runnin wsreset yields an error window asking me to select an app with which I can open the store...

I found lots of traces around the net about the same issues. Many say that the re-registering of applications does not work any more in version 1511. At least not the way it was used to work in earlier versions. Some sample references:

Also the second link is interesting. When I re-run the register command above I get lots of errors in the following form:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.
    Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the Microsoft.SkypeApp_3.2.1.0_x86__kzf8qxf38zg5c package because there was a merge failure with the following file: C:\Program
    Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SkypeApp_3.2.1.0_neutral_split.language-fr_kzf8qxf38zg5c\resources.pri
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 4d2d35f9-2754-0006-6166-2f4d5427d101 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID
    4d2d35f9-2754-0006-6166-2f4d5427d101
    At line:1 char:38
    + ...  | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Here it looks like it's trying to register *_natural_split.language-fr_* and I have no clue why. I am using Swiss german settings (Locale Switzerland, Swiss german keyboard layout, Windows 10 x64 Pro EN) and also the language-fr folder (fr = french) does not exist. Only corresponding language-de folders exist.

In general this is another annoying "feature" I could not yet work around. Apps seem to open in country-specific locale somehow (or related to keyboard layout?) while I would like to run also store apps in english, no matter my locale settings. Instead I see localized application names in start menu and localized applications: I am sorry, but I hate apps opening in german and I have no clue where to change that.

However at the moment it's not really a problem as I cannot open any apps including the store and just got a lot of @{...} apps in my start menu:

lovely app-names

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:32 PM
  • One more note: I had a closer look at your winver screenshot and noticed one thing. On your Screenshot I can read

Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.3)
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

While on my Windows 10 Professional it reads as follows:

Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.11)
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I get this on two machines having Windows 10 Pro installed. As said earlier one machine is set up using the ISO image fetched from the media creation tool (which obviously got withdrawn) and one machine I just set up from sratch using ISO image from MAPS download. While I already noticed that the ISO from MAPS is different than the ISO fetched by the media creation tool the version string seems to be identical.

Though not sure if you noticed above (yes, it's not a typo) my versions seem to be build 10586.11 while yours in the lab seems to be 10586.3. Even more weird you're telling me that I should make sure to install the latest patches.

Even more strange when I look at the copyright notice. My one with otviously higher build number of 10586.11 has copyright notice of 2015 while yours with build 10586.3 has a copyright notice of 2016. Small detail but somehow the builds seem not to be identical.

I am really confused and I think Microsoft is confused as well about their releases. Did Microsoft mix up the releases? Why does my Windows have build 10586.11 (both, from media creation tool and MAPS) while yours are on 10586.3? What is the explanation to this other than Microsoft mixing up with releases provided to the public?

I will be ready in a short while testing roaming profiles on this freshly installed and fully patched Windows 10 Pro (ISO downloaded just today from MAPS).

I think this version mess is a question about updates. I just re-installed another Windows 10 from latest ISO created by freshly released media creation tool. After installation winver displays version 1511 build 10586.0 with a copyright notice from 2016. After applying all updates including "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3120677)" it reads version 1511 build 10586.14 with a copyright notice from 2015.

To me this looks like Michael didn't apply all updates even though I am asked to do so. Anyway, also build 10586.14 does not solve any of those problems.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:54 PM
  • Hi Rainer,

What is your current situation?

Yes I missed some Windows Updates on my test machine. For the test result, it is the same as I posted.

By the way, Windows 10 1511 is available through Media Creation Tool now.

The image you posted seems that the Start Menu is not working well with the account, please consider to delete the profile information on that machine and add it again.

Regards

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 7:59 AM
  • Hi Rainer,

What is your current situation?

Yes I missed some Windows Updates on my test machine. For the test result, it is the same as I posted.

By the way, Windows 10 1511 is available through Media Creation Tool now.

The image you posted seems that the Start Menu is not working well with the account, please consider to delete the profile information on that machine and add it again.

Regards

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply. The state is still the same.

I can reproduce the issue to log on to ANY host in my domain with a roaming profile and I see the issues described:

• On first logon with a roaming profile the start page is almost empty (e.g. settings missing)
    • On subsequent logins Edge and/or otther apps exit without further notice on launch

I am not sure if in your test environment you did log on with a fresh (domain-) user or with an existing one which has already roaming profile data on the server. If the account is new (ie no roaming profile exists on server yet) then Windows seems to create the account locally first and some problems seem not to appear. Howerver as soon as I roam to another machine with an existing user on the new machine I have all those problems. Same for the local (initial) machine if I manually remove the roaming profile from the machine and then log on again.

To me this looks like an issue with wrong code expecting some data to be there presumably in %LocalAppData% which is created if a user account is locally set up but of course the %LocalAppData% is barely empty when roaming to another machine as only the %AppData% part is roamed.

I found similar issues for example with Windows 8 where CTRL+X menu did not work as Windows simply "forgets" about creating %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX (sorry, if the path is slightly wrong as I am not writing this from a Win8 machine now and I can't proof here). Therefore the WinX folder is missing and Win+X shortcut does not work. Manually copying the files there works here as a work-around but is no solution for corporate deployments. So perhaps on Windows 10 similar invalid code exists which does not deal properly with missing files in %LocalAppData%.

Regarding broken apps: I might have run some of the suggested AppXPackage commands and perhaps I also did execute some Remove-AppXPackage commands. Perhaps I even removed the Store. But I don't know any possible way to re-install the apps or revert them to initial version. So I might be left with broken app support.

So my current state is still having an unusable system for Corporate use and I am in progress of stopping all customer activities regarding Windows upgrades on Server and Client side. Migrations are in progress.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 12:06 PM
  • Well Rainer,

Thank you for your update.

And Apolgize to hear that.

Hope the next build would behave better in your situation.

Regards

Friday, December 25, 2015 2:47 AM
  • Well, unfortunately it got even worse. I still kept my Win10 installation for testing and now I have installed the latest updates released on the patch day this week. Now running Version 1511 Build 10586.104.

The result is that I can in most cases not even open the start menu. Clicking the start button does simply not show anything. In the application log I can find Event ID 5973 Error:

Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy!App failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Along with Event ID 1000:

Faulting application name: ShellExperienceHost.exe, version: 10.0.10586.35, time stamp: 0x566505bc
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.103, time stamp: 0x56a8489c
    Exception code: 0x00000004
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000071f08
    Faulting process id: 0x128c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d166594df9dafd
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: c31fd048-26e9-4547-a30d-0051eb4c5ba5
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.10586.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: App

The settings app still opens but when I go to Update & Security and click on "Check for Updates" it just disappears with the following error loged:

Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.10586.11, time stamp: 0x56457cb1
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x00007fff020beb14
    Faulting process id: 0x1c2c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d16659af14f121
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report Id: 56130ccd-91e9-42fd-951b-321315a7c216
    Faulting package full name: windows.immersivecontrolpanel_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

I guess this Windows probably also never gets a fixed update then any more.

Microsoft should really get these things fixed. It's really major pain in the back. However luckily I still have working alternative OS to work with but customers are of course asking for help on this issue and I can't provide any forecast or work-around as there seems to be simply none other than migrating to different OS.

Saturday, February 13, 2016 12:28 PM
  • I had the same problem and this did the trick for me.  It bombed out on a few items while going through it's thing but did what I needed.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:23 PM
  • There is a known issue where logging onto a Windows 10 computer with a Roaming User Profile (RUP) enabled AD domain-based user account cannot add or sign-in with Microsoft account

The current Redstone Windows Insider Fast build contains the fix for this issue.
    The RS fix needs to be vetted before any backports to TH2 for example could be made. If you are able to test the scenario in current RS insider builds and share your results, good or bad, that would be appreciated.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 6:14 PM
  • The current Redstone Windows Insider Fast build contains the fix for this issue.

As far as I know there was no official announcement yet (well, in fact Microsoft seems not to acknowledge the issue) similar to the issue here.

Perhaps somebody will invest time installing RS but as long as it's not released this is not an option for production systems. Especially not for domain environments where you don't want to join the fast ring probably.

Personally I am quite busy currently and customers are quire happy with alternative solutions currently deployed so perhaps they will return to Windows some when in the future or on next release. I will perhaps test the fast ring on personal test rig with samba server, just out of curiosity.

Thanks for the hint.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:14 PM