Connectivity problem between sites - PING loss RRS feed

• Question

• I have a pretty simple setup as below. There is a Point-to-Point T1 between main site and branch and it has been running without problem till recently. I believe something has changed at branch site but I have not found out what it is. As I know there's no additional device added to branch network.

Symptom: extension dialing between sites failed and users at branch have problem connecting to Exch at main site.

What I have done and found:

• from main site: able to PING/RDP to branch file server 192.168.1.252 without any problem.
    • from main site: PING timeout or on-and-off to brancd DC, 192.168.1.11, phone server .21 and few other servers. 
    • at branch network: users can PING all local servers without problems.
    • from branch: PING to main site servers: error with destination net unreachable or on-and-off.
    • Then I have somebody at branch replaced all cables to branch DC server and router and firewall, but no luck.
    • No problem ping/telnet P2P routers from each site.

Any suggestion?

Calvin

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:33 PM

Answers

• Thanks Tiger.

Resolved. Somehow the branch-to-main-office VPN tunnel got turned back up on the branch's firewall, I turned it off and problems are gone.

Calvin

Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Calvin,

Thanks for posting here.

I suspect some missing route entries on the routers of both sides might cause this issue. Have you tried to troubleshoot by performing “tracert 192.168.1.11” form host on main site and what’s the result ? or do that same test form any host with the same problem to connect to remote host?

Please check the route table on the both border routers first.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:40 AM
  • Thanks Tiger.

Resolved. Somehow the branch-to-main-office VPN tunnel got turned back up on the branch's firewall, I turned it off and problems are gone.

Calvin

Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:22 PM