Software Update Scans Failing / Circular Update Relationships in Metadata RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon All -

Our company runs SCCM 2012 R2 CU4 on a Windows 2008 R2 Server.  One component we use is Software Updates which we deploy to ~1000 workstations.  

Recently, we purchased a license for PatchMyPC which enabled us to publish 3rd party updates from SCUP 2011 into SCCM.  When importing the catalog, I not only imported the PatchMyPC updates, but the free Dell and Adobe ones, too.  I was asked to go ahead and publish the metadata for all updates from all 3 catalogs and did so.  Soon afterwards is when the issues started.

When a client currently tries to run a software update scan, it fails.  Below are the errors which the logs reflect:

WUAHandler.log
    - OnSearchComplete - Failed to end search job. Error = 0x8024000f.
    - Scan failed with error = 0x8024000f. (Circular update relationships were detected in the metadata.)

WindowsUpdate.log
    - WARNING: CSerializationHelper:: InitSerialize failed : 0x80070002
    - WARNING: Failed to get Wu Exemption info from NLM, assuming not exempt, error = 0x80070032

When the issue first occurred, WindowsUpdate.log also listed many other errors which included update GUIDs.  I found out that the issue was caused by corrupt Dell updates which were published and per instructions found, I expired each of the updates in SCUP then performed a full re-sync.  I was able to verify in the console that the corrupt updates (which I placed in a different folder) were marked as Expired.  This resolved the issue to where the GUIDs no longer appear in the log files, but I still have what's listed above left.  This was done yesterday so know that policy has refreshed since

What I've Tried
    - Expiring the 16 unique Dell updates mentioned above and resyncing
    - Verified that I can visit http://primaryserver:8530 from client - get prompted for credentials
    - Re-importing SCUP catalogs then re-expiring updates
    - Searched for updates which superseded themselves - Found this post where the same issue was caused by this occurring.  I manually compared many of the update, but ran the SQL queries (via SQL Studio connected to Windows Internal DB) and got no results
    - Been digging through logs!

Here's a link to both log files zipped up as I couldn't attach them directly.  The ZIP file is ~400kb, but only includes the two .log files

What may I do ?  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Ben K.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Ben,

When we integrate the WSUS server with SCCM, it will be managed by SCCM.

If the SCCM is involved, to get better help, pleas post the question on the SCCM forum.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:24 AM