none
Since DPM 2010 upgrade, can't create recovery points for certain data sources RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 and for the most part all my datasources were upgraded successfully. I performed consistency checks as instructed and everything appeared to be ok.

I soon noticed though that 3 of my datasources failed whenever recovery points and/or synchronizations were scheduled. For example, below is the error that DPM gives me whenever it fails to create a new recovery point.

Triggering create recovery point on C:\ failed:

Error 30084: Operation failed for C:\ on PROTECTEDCOMPUTER due to a VSS error on the DPM server. Check the volsnap events in the Windows Event Log

Error details: Unspecified error (0x80004005)

Recommended action: 1) Rerun the consistency check.

I've performed a consistency check successfully but the recovery points still fail.

So I've found the following errors in the Application log.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Ntfs
    Date:          9/28/2010 9:09:28 PM
    Event ID:      57
    Task Category: (2)
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      MYDPMSERVER
    Description:
    The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

So I tried to resolve that issue per the instructions in this post but receive an error stating "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."

The other error I receive though is a volsnap error, which is what I believe to be the true root of my issue.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        volsnap
    Date:          9/28/2010 9:09:28 PM
    Event ID:      88
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      MYDPMSERVER
    Description:
    Volume C:\...M\Volumes\Replica\PROTECTEDCOMPUTER\File System\C-4aa7d216-2767-11df-911e-806d6172696f is offline for shadow copy protection.  The shadow copy storage was exhausted before conditions permitted it to grow.  Please try clearing the protection fault or restart the computer.  If all else fails, revert out of shadow copy protection mode to reclaim the use of the volume while losing the shadow copies.

Here's where I'm stuck. How can I take that volume out of "shadow copy protection mode" without losing all my backups for that datasource? I've already installed this hotfix which specifically pertains my exact error but that still didn't resolve me issue. Or if the volume is offline, how can I just bring it back online for use?

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:26 AM

Answers

• Due to the complexity involved in troubleshooting an issue like yours it would be best to open a Microsoft support case so that we can better assist you and help to determine root cause.

Thanks,

Marc

Friday, October 1, 2010 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi

Choose to modify the Protection Groups those protected members are members of. run though the wizard and try to make a recovery point again.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:46 PM
  • Also check you VSS writers on the server using the vssadmin list writers in an elevated DOS prompt. Is all VSS Writers in a stable state?

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Hi

Choose to modify the Protection Groups those protected members are members of. run though the wizard and try to make a recovery point again.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Hi, Robert,

I've tried modifying the existing protection group. I've also deleted the protection group (but not the data) and created a new protection group. Unfortunately neither of those seem to help. Thanks.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Also check you VSS writers on the server using the vssadmin list writers in an elevated DOS prompt. Is all VSS Writers in a stable state?

Thanks for the suggestion, Robert. All VSS writers are listed in Stable State. Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Could you check the VSS'es on the DPM server.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:43 PM
  • I apologize but I'm not quite sure what you're asking. What do you mean by check the VSS'es?
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Due to the complexity involved in troubleshooting an issue like yours it would be best to open a Microsoft support case so that we can better assist you and help to determine root cause.

Thanks,

Marc

Friday, October 1, 2010 12:56 PM