Word 2007 file is not opening. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Support,

We have UV-Spectrometer in laboratory.We use to take the logs in word format.We are using word 2007.

Unfortunately,we are not able to open the word file.We have saved all the  values in word format 2007.

The saved format file is showing in Phm,Spt format etc.It is not saved in .docx file.I am not able to attach that file.

I want to open in word format and require your guidance at the earliest.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Pradeep.R

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 11:20 AM

Answers

• Your screenshot suggests the file is actually a Spectrascan file, not an MS Word file (note the word 'Spectrascan' in the screenshot.

Do note that simply saving (or renaming) a file with a .doc or .docx extension does not convert it to a valid Word file. Conversely, if you take a valid Word file and change the extension to .phm or .spt, Word will no longer recognise it and will be unable to open the file until the extension is corrected. The same applies to files belonging to other programs. In this case, though, it seems you should be able to open the file with the 'Spectrascan' application.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by pradeeppdy Wednesday, June 24, 2015 4:36 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Support,

Refer to the above query,I want to open the above mentioned files in word format.It was saved in word format but unexceptionably,the file format which was saved in word format was changed to phm & spt format.

I want it in word format to view the document.

Pls.share your ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

R.Pradeep

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Hi R.Pradeep,

According to your description, my understanding is that the files/data were not created with Word 2007. It might be create with third-party program. Am I right?

Then, would you like to share us the error/alert message when you open the files with Word 2007?

You might share us a sample file, I’m glad to help and follow up your reply.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:42 AM
  • Dear Mr.Goerge,

Thanks for  your reply,I am attached the soft copy of the screenshot for your reference.

When we try to open in word,it is showing file conversion.

Please let me know how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Pradeep.R

Monday, June 22, 2015 6:22 AM
  • The file extension mentioned is a Word format i don't think so please open it with the suitable program and convert it.

3D modeling programs that have the SpeedTreeMAX or SpeedTreeMAYA plugins installed, such as IDV SpeedTree CAD, AutoDesk 3ds Max 2011 and AutoDesk Maya 2011, can open SPT files. 

and Phm ?

Monday, June 22, 2015 7:07 AM
  • The file extension mentioned is a Word format i don't think so please open it with the suitable program and convert it.

3D modeling programs that have the SpeedTreeMAX or SpeedTreeMAYA plugins installed, such as IDV SpeedTree CAD, AutoDesk 3ds Max 2011 and AutoDesk Maya 2011, can open SPT files. 

and Phm ?

Monday, June 22, 2015 7:09 AM
  • Your screenshot suggests the file is actually a Spectrascan file, not an MS Word file (note the word 'Spectrascan' in the screenshot.

Do note that simply saving (or renaming) a file with a .doc or .docx extension does not convert it to a valid Word file. Conversely, if you take a valid Word file and change the extension to .phm or .spt, Word will no longer recognise it and will be unable to open the file until the extension is corrected. The same applies to files belonging to other programs. In this case, though, it seems you should be able to open the file with the 'Spectrascan' application.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by pradeeppdy Wednesday, June 24, 2015 4:36 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2015 12:09 PM
  • Dear Mr.Paul Edstein,

I agree with your valuable point & suggestion.

It seems to be open the file with Spectrasacn application only.

Regards

R.Pradeep

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 4:40 PM