UAG licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just wonder how UAG is licensed. We have two sites, one is for production and the other is for disaster recovery. The latter is used only when the production site fails. One UAG server for each site. Does Microsoft charge for both servers or just one server? I do not think it makes sense to charge both servers since only one is publicly available at any time point.

Thanks,
    -Luke
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:47 PM

Answers

• On a personal level, I would love to be able to keep a spare of everything for free on the principle of it not being used concurrently. Most licenses for Microsoft software allow you to install it on one device (per paid copy), and you can uninstall it and install on another without paying again, but for disaster recovery, that probably won't do. I'm not a lawyer, and I doubt anyone on this forum can give you advice that will be legally-sound (meaning, something you can use to defend yourself if you act on it and get sued for software piracy), so I would suggest you contact a Microsoft sales representative and consult. It may be legally viable to buy the product as a virtual-machine, store it on multiple servers and bring it up a single copy only when the other is off. I'm not saying it's OK to do it, just that it might be, and worth investigating.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, February 4, 2010 9:18 PM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 9:18 PM