none
add few shortcuts in ts RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

never did it...

I need to add word and excel shortcuts to desktop during deployment of Windows 7.

Please step by step :) how to add it to existing TS.

Thx.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Manually Create the Shortcuts and copy (.lnk) files to MDT DeploymentShare\Scripts, execute the below command line inside TaskSequence. It will successfully copy the required shortcuts to Public Desktop

cmd /c xcopy "%scriptroot%\.lnk" "c:\Users\public\Desktop" /y /r

Thursday, June 27, 2019 5:43 AM
  • There are many ways to do that, but the above will work. I would suggest adding them to the Desktop folder in C:\users\default\

Why? Because if you make shortcuts in Public and someone decides they don't want the shortcuts on their desktop you are going to get a call because admin credentials are needed to delete the shortcuts. The public folder affects everyone. Whereas if you use default\desktop will create a copy of those shortcuts on their desktop giving them the option to delete or rename them without issue.

Daniel Vega

Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:38 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Gonna jump in here and ask about the default user since we don't really use it.
    I created a shortcut on my desktop, cut it and pasted to users\default\desktop.

Will that create that shortcut for all subsequent users as they sign on? I logged on as a new local user and didn't see the shortcut. Maybe I'm missing the principle.

Friday, June 28, 2019 1:21 PM
  • The default profile is used to build the profile of a new user. So if you add shortcuts to Default\Desktop it will copy those into the users profile at first login. Same goes for Default\Documents, etc. When Windows 8 first came out I had a user guide in Default\Documents and a introduction video in Default\Videos. It would copy them to each user's profile when they first logged in.

This will not work for existing profiles. If a profile already exists and you add stuff to default it will not be added to the users that have already logged in.

Daniel Vega

• Proposed as answer by the1rickster Friday, June 28, 2019 1:39 PM
    Friday, June 28, 2019 1:27 PM
  • I see why it didn't work. I signed on for the first time but as a user that was crated during MDT deploy. I just added a new user and I do see the shortcut! Thanks!

Must the default user folder be unhidden for this to work?

Friday, June 28, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Not at all, you can leave it hidden. Just type in the path in the address bar and Windows will still open the folder even if it is hidden.

Daniel Vega

Friday, June 28, 2019 1:42 PM