none
Power query from ODBC :"DataSource.Error: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow" RRS feed

• Question

• Good day

Everytime I want to pull data into a query from our servers it gives the error "DataSource.Error: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow". What is the reason for this error, and how do I get past this bump.

Thanks in advance

Arnoux

Monday, March 23, 2015 12:07 PM

Answers

• Yes, you need to do what the error message says and install the MySQL ADO.NET driver from the supplied link in order to use the built-in MySQL functionality.

The advantage of the built-in functionality is that you can fetch data without writing SQL simply by shaping the data in the UI.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:30 PM

All replies

• This message comes from the ODBC driver itself or from the server it's connecting to, not from our code. What driver are you using? Do you get it even from a query that doesn't actually touch data (like "select 1")?
    Monday, March 23, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Mostly I will work with queries that touch data.

We have a MySQL 5.1.11 server with an ODBC  3.51.28 connection.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:16 AM
  • According to the thread at http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=66647, this is a consquence of using "old-style" passwords. Can you see if the recommendations at that thread work for you?

I'm curious why you're using ODBC instead of the built-in MySQL support that goes through ADO.NET.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Actually this error message is coming from .NET and is therefore from the ODBC bridge code. It might be caused by misbehavior on the driver's part, but perhaps our code can be resilient against it.

If you can send us traces using the "Send a Frown" feature, it would be much appreciated.

In the meantime, I agree with Curt that native Power Query connectors should be favored over bridges like ODBC, when possible.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 6:03 PM
  • Hey Tristan. Thanks I did that yes.

For some reason my direct MySQL connection does not want to work.

I get the following error

DataSource.Error: MySQL: Unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'MySql.Data.MySqlClient'.
    This error may have been the result of provider-specific client software being required but missing on this computer.  To download client software for this provider, visit the following site and choose at minimum 'MySQL Connector/Net':

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:26 AM
  • Yes, you need to do what the error message says and install the MySQL ADO.NET driver from the supplied link in order to use the built-in MySQL functionality.

The advantage of the built-in functionality is that you can fetch data without writing SQL simply by shaping the data in the UI.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:30 PM
  • Dear Curt

Thank you for the help. It seems to be working now.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:56 PM