none
How to fix an error 'Unable to communicate with the runtime for 'Python' script. Please check the requirements of 'Python' runtime.'? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Lately, I've been unable to use SQL Server python in-service and got the error as the title shown above after I got some python packages (pandas, pandas-datareader) and python itself (from 3.5 to 3.7) updated from visual studio 2017 python environment.  

does anyone know how to get this error fixed?

Thanks a lot.  

Regards,

Kelvin

• Edited by Kelvinho8 Tuesday, February 26, 2019 3:44 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hey Kelvin,

Make sure the launchpad service for the SQL Server instance is running. You find it in Services | SQL Server Launchpad (sql instance name).

What OS is the SQL Server running on: Windows or Linux? If Windows, has there been any recent OS upgrades (Like Insider preview or something similar)? Has there been any SQL Server CUP upgrades?

Can you execute R scripts:

EXEC sp_execute_external_script
    @language = N'R',
    @script = N'd<-42'
    Sorry for so many questions, I have had similar issues after Windows updates, and I have has to resort to a SQL Server repair.

http://www.nielsberglund.com | @nielsberglund

• Edited by nielsbMVP Wednesday, February 27, 2019 3:28 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 3:26 AM

• Hi nielsb,

The OS I use is Windows 10 and I'm pretty sure launchpad service is running.  

It didn't occur to me that there has been any upgrades either OS or SQL Server.  Plus, the error occurred just right after packages upgrades so I kinda have a feeling it's something to do with the package upgrade.  

And yes, I can execute and get results by running R scripts in SQL Server.  

I have made SQL Server repair last night but it didn't get the problem fixed either.  

Thanks for your help in advance and have a good day.  

Regards,

Kelvin

• Edited by Kelvinho8 Wednesday, February 27, 2019 4:01 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 5:24 AM