Windows Media Center Stopped Working - A Solution Cannot Be Found, Windows Vista Home Premium - HELP!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Media Center Stopped Working - A Solution Cannot Be Found, Windows Vista Home Premium - HELP!!!!

I have installed all of the bizillion Windows Updates, I've followed the helpful posts that advise to remove a certain file , something like mediacenterdata.db, which I did not have, and nothing has worked.

Should I reinstall Windows Vista? Is there a way to only reinstall Media Center?  Please ehl;p.  Thank you.

Saturday, January 1, 2011 11:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before moving on, I would like to confirm that if there are any updates or programs installed before the issue occurs.

First, please go to restore the system to the issue not occurs.

Please check if all the latest updates and drivers are installed properly and some low spec graphics card can cause that problem.

Uninstall your TV tuner, and reboot. See if media center still crashes.

Please boot the computer in Clean Boot to test this issue.

Please also refer to the following steps to disable them in Device Manager. In this situation, your system will only have basic hardware devices and it should be more stable.

1. Click "Start"-> type in "DEVMGMT.MSC" and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties".

4. In the "Device Usage" dropdown menu, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other potentially unstable hardware such as the modem, network card, and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as the video adapter cannot be disabled.

Then, restart your computer.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, January 10, 2011 3:57 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:03 AM