User Profile Disk as an alternative Roaming Profile, or best way to use RoamingProfile for Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

there is a stupid idea, to use UPD instead RoamingProfile

https://4sysops.com/archives/user-profile-disks-on-windows-10/

And it works for workstations. But if workstation lost connection to VHDx folder, user can't work and system stop response. And mount VHD over network it no best way. I understand that UPD is technology for RDP or VDI :) 

What if I will copy VHDx at user logon to the local disk (c:\users\vhdx). And copy to the store on user logoff?

Like:

Add-Type -AssemblyName System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement
    $VHD = "$env:SystemDrive\users\UVHD-" + ([System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal]::Current).SID.Value + ".vhdx"
    $STORE = "\\Stor01\USMT\UPD"
    Copy-Item $VHD -Destination $STORE -Force -Confirm:$false 
    Add-Type -AssemblyName System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement
    $VHD = "\\Stor01\USMT\UPD" + ([System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal]::Current).SID.Value + ".vhdx"
    $PROFILE =  "$env:SystemDrive\users"
    Copy-Item $VHD -Destination $PROFILE -Force -Confirm:$false 

Who run script after logon, but befor system mount VHDx? :)

Problem is APPData\Local folder. If user roaming profile folder exception in Group Policy. I mast add whery l large list of folder (more than 100, I analyze unicume users folders by collect information of local directory). Users roaming profile quota 400 Mb. What is the best way to user roaming profile for Windows 10 systems?

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Denis,

If you compare the User Profile Disk with Roaming Profiles the advantages are mostly found an the user experience part. The User Profile Disk is mounted and user data is available immediately, while with Roaming Profiles the data is copied from a file share to the RDS server/VDI workstation (and vice versa) which will take a longer period before the user can actually starts working.

From an end user perspective also the locations of the folders are located locally as they are used on their private PC, I still see users who do not understand home drive concepts.

Both Roaming Profiles and the User Profile Disk are easy to configure and you don’t need to care where applications and/or the users are storing data in their profile.

Normally Roaming Profiles are combined with Folder Redirection to store some user folders directly on a file share to improve the logon/logoff times and secure the data in those folders. Technically both the User Profile Disk as Folder Redirection user folders are actually storing the data on a network share, which can cause performance issues from an user experiences.

Deploy Roaming User Profiles

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649079(v=ws.11).aspx

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:58 AM