Servicing Stack Update for Windows 10 download error 0x80244019 RRS feed

• Question

• For the past 5 or 6 months, the monthly servicing stack update for Windows 10 fails at the download stage.  If I download the update from the catalog, I can install it manually on all of the computers.  This is happening to dozens of computers on my network, and this month's update (KB4538674) seems to have failed downloading on almost all of them.

I'm running WSUS on a 2019 Server.  I have it set to download the updates on approval, and I have the update set to approved with an install deadline in 2 weeks.  No other updates have failed like this.

Thursday, February 13, 2020 2:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If the current WSUS is configured to store update files on the WSUS server, then consider checking through the following steps:

1. Check the acquisition status of the file in WSUS. When the download fails, try downloading again.

2. If the continuous download fails, please confirm that all Microsoft update sites mentioned in the following article can be accessed by the WSUS server: "Connection from the WSUS server to the Internet". 

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 14, 2020 3:45 AM
  • I think I was unclear with the issue.  It downloads fine to the WSUS server.  It says it's ready for installation.

The error is on the clients.  I get the same error if I check Microsoft for updates as well.

Friday, February 14, 2020 1:54 PM
  • Hi,

Can you provide the error information or error code provided by the system when an error occurs? This will help with problem analysis.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 16, 2020 4:55 AM
  •  <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient" Guid="{945a8954-c147-4acd-923f-40c45405a658}" /> 
      <EventID>31</EventID> 
      <Version>1</Version> 
      <Level>2</Level> 
      <Task>1</Task> 
      <Opcode>12</Opcode> 
      <Keywords>0x4000000000000024</Keywords> 
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-02-17T12:06:48.195338700Z" /> 
      <EventRecordID>5889</EventRecordID> 
      <Correlation /> 
      <Execution ProcessID="21756" ThreadID="25364" /> 
      <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient/Operational</Channel> 
      <Computer>xxxxxxxxxx</Computer> 
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="updateTitle">2020-02 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4538674)</Data> 
      <Data Name="errorCode">0x80244019</Data> 
      <Data Name="updateGuid">{6c46e7c2-1370-43be-8400-04899522e0bf}</Data> 
      <Data Name="updateRevisionNumber">200</Data> 
      </EventData>
      </Event>

Monday, February 17, 2020 3:33 PM
  • I set up another WSUS server for testing, that doesn't download updates locally.  In my testing, it does not install the servicing stack updates, instead marking them as "Not Applicable".  Is that normal?
    Monday, February 17, 2020 8:50 PM
  •   <Data Name="updateTitle">2020-02 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4538674)</Data> 
      <Data Name="errorCode">0x80244019</Data> 
      <Data Name="updateGuid">{6c46e7c2-1370-43be-8400-04899522e0bf}</Data> 
      <Data Name="updateRevisionNumber">200</Data> 

This paragraph in the log, 0x80244019 means that a HTTP 404 error occurred during the process of obtaining KB4538674, so please consider the following checks:

1. In the WSUS administrator console, check the configuration of the following configurations:

2. Please Confirm your choice:

- If "Store update files locally on this server" is selected, please consider decline this update first, then re-approve, and perform the file status check I mentioned in an answer to ensure that the updated installation files have been downloaded normally.

- If "Do not store update files locally ..." is selected, please check whether the client (Windows 10 PC) can access the Internet normally. If the client is accessing the Internet through a network proxy or a site restricted by the corporate firewall, please confirm that I mentioned in an answer whether the Microsoft update sites have been added to the allowed list and ensure that they are all accessible by the client. 

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 4:33 AM
  • The WSUS server is set to store update files locally.  I declined and then re-approved the servicing stack update.  It again shows in the console as being ready for installation.  It again fails with the same error.
    Tuesday, February 18, 2020 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

Please consider referring to the following wizard to check if there is a problem with the connection and configuration between the WSUS client and server: "Troubleshooting issues with WSUS client agents".

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 7:01 AM