none
Set up Automatic Update on Progress of a Task RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Is there a way to set up the progress of a a task in MSP2010 to be updated automatically ?

To be more clear on it I give you an example.

Our company is going to buy a long lead item (a Valve) which we have assigned 100 days for that. The start date is 2/07/2012 and the finish day would be 16/11/2012. We put the order on start date and it will be delivered on time. I need to do a setting that the progress bar shows the progress of 1% at the end of first day, 2% at the end of 2nd day and so on. (Duration of this task is 100 days so each day would add a value of 1%).

There are so many tasks like this and I need to set the up that they progress each day automatically. If it was in Excel I could simply insert a formula to calculate (days elapsed devided by toal days  x100).

Please advise.

Thanks,

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Amir,

As you said that tasks progresses as planned, so assuming that its a scenario where planned and actual would be same, you can use the the Status option by selecting Project tab. Project -> Status -> Update Project this will open a dialogue box select the desired options

You can select the "Selected tasks" after selecting the multiple tasks that you want to update for % Complete based on the planned values.

Sapna S

• Marked as answer by Amir885 Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:09 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Amir,

As you said that tasks progresses as planned, so assuming that its a scenario where planned and actual would be same, you can use the the Status option by selecting Project tab. Project -> Status -> Update Project this will open a dialogue box select the desired options

You can select the "Selected tasks" after selecting the multiple tasks that you want to update for % Complete based on the planned values.

Sapna S

• Marked as answer by Amir885 Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:09 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:42 AM
  • Thanks a lot Sapna. 32 People reviewed my post and you were the 33rd one which replied me. Very helpful.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:09 AM
  • You are most Welcome Amir.

Sapna S

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:11 AM
  • Hi Amir,

when you open your project, you will find a button "Update Project" in ribbon Project. You can use Update work as completed through for the whole project or for previously seleted tasks. Is this what you are looking for?

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:22 AM
  • Hi Amir,

Another solution being completely automatic is, as you suggested yourself, to do a formula for the planned percentage in MS Project, just as you would do in Excel. A bit different in MS Project, but here should be some formulas taking care of this.

Insert 2 custom number columns, e.g. Number1 and Number2 as indicated below

Number 1: Planned progress in days (with 8 hours per day)

IIf([Status Date]>[Scheduled Start];IIf([Status Date]>=[Scheduled Finish];[Scheduled Duration]/480;ProjDateDiff([Scheduled Start];[Status Date])/480);0)

Number 2: Planned progress in % (also valid for milestones, i.e. duration=0)

int(IIf([Scheduled Duration]>0;[Number1]/([Scheduled Duration]/480)*100;IIf([Status Date]-[Scheduled Start]>=0;100;0)))

As your duration is 100 days, you basically only need the Number 1, if not also Number2. One could also insert the formula for Number1 directly in Number2 so only one custom number column was needed. This would only give the planned percentage, not the planned days.

If also progress on the Gantt chart was required, then just add a bar styles showing from start to Number3 (being start+number1 adjusted for working minutes per day).

Regards,

BJ

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Hello,  I tried using "Update Project" but the progress (% complete) does not show on the task bar.  Pls help.  Rgds,  Sewob
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:38 PM