All Systems count got decreased RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a SMS 2003 server earlier the systems count in All Systems collection was 12407, but now the count is 9868.

I have not done any major activity on server and am worried what could have happened?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:29 PM

Answers

• It is a site server log, so SMS \Logs. SMS_CCM is the MP log folder.
    Wally Mead
    • Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, January 30, 2012 12:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, December 22, 2014 2:55 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:30 AM

All replies

• Check the site maintanence settings, heartbeat discovery, delete inactive clients, clear install flag. You can also check the status message queries (the audit ones) and see what they have to say.
    Kent Agerlund | My blogs: http://blog.coretech.dk/author/kea/ and http://scug.dk/ | Twitter @Agerlund | Linkedin: /kentagerlund
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Thanks Kent, I have cheked the maintainence tasks all mentioned settings are enabled. But where can i confirm the actual cause.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:13 PM
  • If you have enabled those tasks, then they may very well remove systems from the SMS site database, which is what they are supposed to do. For example, the Delete Aged Discovery Data task will remove any systems that have not been updated in the specified period of time (I believe 90 days by default).

You would have to look at the schedules/intervals for each task and then see if you have resources that met those criteria.

Wally Mead
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:11 AM
  • in addition to Wally, monitor smsdb.log from your site server log files because this log keep track of these changes if any of  the site maintanance tasks performed or not.
    //Eswar Koneti @ www.eskonr.com
    Monday, March 28, 2011 10:23 AM
  • Hi Eswar, can you help me locating smsdb.log file, i can't see it in SMS_CCM/Logs folder. I also tried searching it.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Earlier there were 12407 systems under “All Systems” collection in my SMS 2003 server. But since 1<sup>st</sup> of March 2011 there is a tremendous fall in Systems count reflecting in All Systems collection, Yesterday it was 10039.

There was no major change in server during this period, the only thing I could figure out is below error in Event Manager\Systems getting repeated for all those missing systems.

Event Type:        Error

Event Source:    Kerberos

Event Category: None

Event ID:              4

Date:                     4/6/2011

Time:                     2:12:20 AM

User:                     N/A

Computer:          xxxxxxxx

Description:

The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server W2xxxxxxxx$.  The target name used was cifs/W2xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx.com. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this is due to identically named  machine accounts in the target realm (xxx.xxx.COM), and the client realm.   Please contact your system administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:31 AM
  • It is a site server log, so SMS \Logs. SMS_CCM is the MP log folder.
    Wally Mead
    • Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, January 30, 2012 12:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, December 22, 2014 2:55 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:30 AM