WS2012R2 HV + VMM2012R2 SLES11SP3 mysterious unconfigured NIC added after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• When a Linux hosts on my server gets failovered to another clusternode the Linux guest has a new unconfigured NIC added. Hence my network connectivity is lost after the failover since it is not configured. In YAST network config the previous (working) adapter is still listed and configured, but it is no longer active in the configuration. A new unconfigured NIC is present. After configuring an IP on that NIC all is well until the host failovers again. I have a host with already 5 non-working NICs present (eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3, eth4, eth5).

I'm running 4 Windows Server 2012R2 Datacenter hosts with Hyper-V and VMM2012R2.

Ofcourse I can remove the excess ethernet adapters by removing the config files from /etc/sysconfig/network
    • Edited by Erwin Vos Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:09 AM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:37 AM

Answers

• As a quick suggestion, try giving the Linux VM a static MAC address in Hyper-V.   I think what is happening is that after the failover, the virtual NIC is getting a new MAC address.  Linux sees the new MAC address and creates another Ethernet adapter.

This issue has come up a couple of other times recently. 

Cheers

Mark.

• Marked as answer by Erwin Vos Friday, April 4, 2014 6:50 AM
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Erwin, What distribution and release of Linux are you using? Do you see the hv-kvp daemon running after the failover has happened? Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Abhishek
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:17 AM
  • Hi Abhishek,

I'm running SLES11SP3 (Suse Enterprise Linux 11 SP3 64bit) on a Windows Server 2012R2 Hyper-V cluster with 4 nodes managed by VMM2012R2 (Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012R2).

I have hv_kvp_daemon running, not hv-kvp.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 9:56 AM
  • Hi Erwin, we are also running SLES11 SP3, on Server 2012 Cluster and SCVMM 2012 R2.

we haven't had any issues with NIC's . I presume your VM adapter Name is the same on all your Hyper-V hosts. and if you have any windows VM's they fail over fine.

I think this could be an I.C issue with 2012R2. I did read somewhere there is an update for SP3 for Hyper-V 2012R2.

I cannot remember where. !!

ill find out.!!

Cheers

Mark

Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:14 PM
  • Hi all our suse VM's are running hyper-V tools 5-0.11.1

this is an update for SP3. as the version with SP3 is 5-0.7.10

What version are you running. ?

Cheers

Mark

Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:46 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I'm running hyper-V tools 5.0.11.1 on all my SLES 11 SP3 Linux hosts.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:57 PM
  • As a quick suggestion, try giving the Linux VM a static MAC address in Hyper-V.   I think what is happening is that after the failover, the virtual NIC is getting a new MAC address.  Linux sees the new MAC address and creates another Ethernet adapter.

This issue has come up a couple of other times recently. 

Cheers

Mark.

• Marked as answer by Erwin Vos Friday, April 4, 2014 6:50 AM
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:01 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will first monitor if this is what happens after a failover. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks!

Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:25 PM
  • Setting up a static MAC is the right solution. Looking forward to hearing how the testing went.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:24 PM
  • Hi Mark,

It seems your suggestion did the trick! Thanks!

Friday, April 4, 2014 6:51 AM