none
Will this configuration work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying very hard to plan a DPM installation that will work for my employer, so far I've run into issue after issue with it and now he's seriously thinking about giving up on the product. So can the following work - Have a virtualised primary DPM with VHD disk pools for short term backups, a secondary onsite physical server DPM with a tape drive for long term storage and a further DPM server offsite with both disk pools and tape drive for disaster recovery purposes. I would only want some of our servers to be on short term disk - all the rest we would want to go directly to the tape drive on the secondary server, no disk storage needed for those - is this possible?

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In my opinion you can't write the backup directly to disk in DPM 2010.

Regards,

Phil 

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

I'm trying very hard to plan a DPM installation that will work for my employer, so far I've run into issue after issue with it and now he's seriously thinking about giving up on the product. So can the following work - Have a virtualised primary DPM with VHD disk pools for short term backups, a secondary onsite physical server DPM with a tape drive for long term storage and a further DPM server offsite with both disk pools and tape drive for disaster recovery purposes. I would only want some of our servers to be on short term disk - all the rest we would want to go directly to the tape drive on the secondary server, no disk storage needed for those - is this possible?

Hello,

Your plan should work and looks pretty good. There is only one thing I would change. On the Primary DPM I would backup to pass through disks not VHD's.

Hopefully you will decide to stick with DPM.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:37 AM