Delay running elevated applications (Windows 2016) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I already made a similar post here: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/8671d513-a9ea-4d9f-905c-3c002b5443b1/delay-running-elevated-applications?forum=ws2016

Short description: Whenever I add an App-V package to the server with Add-Appvclientpackage | Publish-Appvclientpackage -global that is of a decent size, I'm not sure which size yet but my package is ~600 MB compressed, then UAC elevation gets a 5 second delay.

So example:

1. Start regedit > Elevation popup shows > Click yes > Regedit opens instantly (how it supposed to be).
    2. Start regedit > Elevation popup shows > Click yes > 5 second delay and a blank screen > Regedit starts (after publishing).

I already re-sequenced the package on Windows 2016 with the new 10.0 sequencer. Cleaned up the package enitrely removing all the Windows related registry keys. I also set com mode to isolated to prevent the package from interacting with the system but no go the issue remains. As soon as I unload the package (Remove-appvclientpackage) the delay is gone.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 7:09 AM

Answers

• I finally solved this issue. Turns out, there was a policy set changing the default file assocations:

Windows Components/File Explorer
    Set a default associations configuration file Enabled  

I removed it and now everything is fast again!

• Marked as answer by Martijn Kools Friday, February 24, 2017 11:10 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 11:10 AM

All replies

• First launches usually has some delay as it stages/downloads registry and other app related files.
    Do you notice this delay even in case of subsequent launches too?

Kiranmayi

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 11:39 PM
  • First launches usually has some delay as it stages/downloads registry and other app related files.
    Do you notice this delay even in case of subsequent launches too?

Kiranmayi

Let me try to explain it better. I'm not even doing something with/in App-V, I'm just running an elevated regedit or cmd.exe nothing more. When I load the App-V package that has a 5 sec delay even though App-V should not have anything to do with that.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:17 AM
  • In the other post you linked, you mentioned that you are using SAP GUI. Though I am not sure about that application, it sounds like it uses explorer. Hence the question. 

If the answer for my question is no, ie even the subsequent launches are delayed it kind of voids my hypothesis.

Kiranmayi

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:32 PM
  • I have not seen this behavior yet on server 2016... does the same issue occur on Win10 CB?
    Does this happen also if you publish the package to the user instead of the machine?

Does this happen as soon as you add the package, or after you publish the package?
    Does the issue get solved after unnpublishing the package or after removing the package?
    Does is happen with large packages, or just this one in particular? How is your client configured, are you using SCS mode or are packages cached on the client? How is the package created, did you use fault streaming, FB1 or the full streaming option?

Roy Essers

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 7:50 PM
  • In the other post you linked, you mentioned that you are using SAP GUI. Though I am not sure about that application, it sounds like it uses explorer. Hence the question. 

If the answer for my question is no, ie even the subsequent launches are delayed it kind of voids my hypothesis.

Kiranmayi

Yes but if I set it to fully isolated and only load the package not launch it once then anything I start elevated like regedit or cmd should not even be aware of the SAP package right and start normally?

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:25 PM
  • I have not seen this behavior yet on server 2016... does the same issue occur on Win10 CB?
    Does this happen also if you publish the package to the user instead of the machine?

Does this happen as soon as you add the package, or after you publish the package?
    Does the issue get solved after unnpublishing the package or after removing the package?
    Does is happen with large packages, or just this one in particular? How is your client configured, are you using SCS mode or are packages cached on the client? How is the package created, did you use fault streaming, FB1 or the full streaming option?

Roy Essers

I can already say we're using SCS mode with fault streaming and it happens when I Add and publish the package, it's instantly resolved when I remove the package.

The other questions are good pointers, I will test that tomorrow and see what the results are and let you know.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:27 PM
  • Just for the heck of it, next time you open your elevated CMD or Regedit, check and see if its launching it from inside one of your App-V packages.  Easiest way to tell is look at the Image Path in Task Manager.
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:02 PM
  • I finally solved this issue. Turns out, there was a policy set changing the default file assocations:

Windows Components/File Explorer
    Set a default associations configuration file Enabled  

I removed it and now everything is fast again!

• Marked as answer by Martijn Kools Friday, February 24, 2017 11:10 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 11:10 AM