Hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t20n ata device error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Gateway T-6815 with a Hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t20n ata device. Currently the device fails to read DVDs. It will sometimes read DVD data disks, CD data disks, and burned CD audio disks. But will not play copyrighted DVDs (movies and such). When I insert a DVD it spins, stops, tries to read, and does nothing. In My Computer the DVD RW drive appears, but when I click it it asks me to insert a disk (even though I already have one in there).

I've tried multiple different DVDs.

I've tried reinstalling Vista Home Premium.

I've tried taking it in to Geek Squad (twice) to check for hardware issues. They were absolutely no help. They said it was not a hardware issue. They said the drive fails due to lack of Media software, telling me I need to install something like Windows Media Player.I already have that installed on my computer that is definitely not the problem.

I've tried this and it failed to resolve the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

I've manually edited the registry to deleted the UpperFilter and LowerFilter and it failed to resolve the issue.

It seems I only have the Microsoft generic driver installed.

Any ideas how to fix my issue?
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:57 PM