Trying to pull the name of all ADgroups in our Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to pull all AD groups and their category in our OU. Do you know which switch to use the below is not working for me

get-adgroup -filter * -SearchBase "OU=OurDC,DC=ourDC,DC=local" | GroupType | Select Name | export-csv -notypeinformation C:\Users\test.csv

GroupType is not recognized. What should I use? 

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 4:25 PM

Answers

• Try:

Get-ADGroup -filter * -SearchBase "OU=,DC=,DC=local" | Select Name, GroupCategory, GroupScope | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation C:\Users\Desktop\ADGroupt.csv 

I meant to say no need to use -Properties, as GroupCategory and GroupScope are default properties, but they must be in the Select or they are not output.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

• Proposed as answer by jrv Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by jrv Thursday, April 5, 2018 7:47 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:44 PM
  • GroupType is an AD attribute, not a PowerShell property, so it is not retrieved by default. You can specify groupType with the -Properties parameter, but you get an integer that needs to be evaluated. Best to Select the properties GroupCategory and GroupScope. These are both default properties, so no need to use -Properties to retrieve them. Just list in the Select.

• Edited by Richard MuellerMVP Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:45 PM fixed typo
    • Marked as answer by Todo123 Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:58 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 5:11 PM

All replies

• Each element in a pipeline must be a CmdLet that can take pipeline input.

get-adgroup -filter * -SearchBase "OU=OurDC,DC=ourDC,DC=local" | Select Name, GroupType

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 4:59 PM
  • GroupType is an AD attribute, not a PowerShell property, so it is not retrieved by default. You can specify groupType with the -Properties parameter, but you get an integer that needs to be evaluated. Best to Select the properties GroupCategory and GroupScope. These are both default properties, so no need to use -Properties to retrieve them. Just list in the Select.

• Edited by Richard MuellerMVP Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:45 PM fixed typo
    • Marked as answer by Todo123 Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:58 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 5:11 PM
  • Thanks Rich,

get-adgroup -filter * -Properties * -SearchBase "OU=,DC=,DC=local" | GroupType | Select Name | export-csv -notypeinformation C:\Users\Desktop\ADGroupt.csv 

This pulled all group in the specified OU

but doesn't tell the group category. I need to get this right. Please help!

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:22 PM
  • Try:

Get-ADGroup -filter * -SearchBase "OU=,DC=,DC=local" | Select Name, GroupCategory, GroupScope | Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation C:\Users\Desktop\ADGroupt.csv 

I meant to say no need to use -Properties, as GroupCategory and GroupScope are default properties, but they must be in the Select or they are not output.

• Proposed as answer by jrv Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by jrv Thursday, April 5, 2018 7:47 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:44 PM
  • Hello I am trying to pull all O365 Groups a user is member of

Get-DistributionGroup | where {(Get-DistributionGroupMember $_ | foreach {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress}) -contains "Myuseremailaddress" } 

I received this error 

"Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'Identity'. Cannot convert"

Trying to pull this from Exchange Online

Can you please help?

Thursday, April 5, 2018 7:39 PM
  • If you have a new question please open a new topic.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, April 5, 2018 7:46 PM