Boot Time Issues--Sudden Increase RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

So the problems seem to start after I resized the System Reserved partition on my SSD in order to make a backup. The free space available apparently did not meet the requirement for a backup, so according to others with a similar problem I resized it using the EaseUS Partition Master.

At the time, I did not immediately notice any boot time increase. However, today I noticed that the system hangs on the Windows logo slightly longer. I used the app Soluto (installed prior to the issues and did not cause any issues itself) to narrow the increase in boot time down to something with Windows. I immediately checked Event Viewer and found that boot time was indeed much higher after the partition change, and had to do with a boot event called SMSSInit.exe, which caused a degradation of around 15-17s in boot time, essentially making it the culprit. I made sure it was a Windows process causing the issue by performing a clean boot; the problem persisted.

I followed the advice in this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/sudden-very-slow-boot-in-win-7/9568e756-bc3b-4094-aafd-712a426f08b6

However, BootExecute did not have any abnormal values in it. The OP said he just deleted the default "autocheck autochk *" value. I followed this myself, rebooted, and noticed a few things:

1) No hanging on the Windows logo. However, there were flashes/refreshes of the display going into the Windows Login Screen. The only reason I'm concerned about this now is due to the circumstances. However, I'm assuming this is normal?

2) I used a script (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/720-restart-time.html) to monitor the boot time, and it seemed to be back to normal. However, event viewer still reports a slightly higher boot time (by around 7s) and Soluto is still reporting a very long boot-time for Windows System. It used to be, I believe, around half of what it is now. Conversely, Microsoft Security Essentials is now taking half as long to boot. I cannot 100% verify the accuracy of these numbers, though.

I'm inclined to just take it for what it is, and go. However, I'm left with a registry value that Microsoft suggests to refrain from deleting (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc963230.aspx). AFAIK, CHKDSK can still run on the next boot as it creates it's own registry value to do so. In any case, it's easy enough to just type in the default value on my own as I have not deleted "BootExecute" from the registry. In addition, I STILL have a longer boot-time after resizing the System Reserved partition.

Any advice on how to proceed? I'm at a loss at the moment.

More Info:

• Storage: 256GB SSD (on which the OS resides and the System Reserved partition was resized), 2TB HDD, and a 3TB HDD (on which the Backup Image is stored)

If you need anything more, let me know and I'll be glad to provide it.

Edit: I've done a couple more reboots. The Soluto information seems to hold up after multiple reboots. I neglected to mention that, using the reboot script, the restart time appears to be LESS than it was before the partition was resized. Event Viewer still maintains a boot time around 7-8s longer than usual, and no SMSSInit.exe error is present. This whole situation is quite bizarre.

• Edited by Boom_R Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:03 AM
    Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:32 AM

All replies

•  Hi,

Since this issue occurred suddenly, please check whether you have installed some programs or changed settings. You can perform a system restore to test the issue.

In addition, for boot time issue, you can log onto the Safe Mode or Clean Boot to see the boot time.

Also, please unplug all unnecessary devices to check the result.

For more information, please refer to this article: Optimize Windows 7 for better performance

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:54 AM
  • I've performed a clean boot before and it did not change the boot time. All that's connected are basic devices: keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitor.

What seems to be the problem is the resizing of the partition, but I can't go back to the way it was before because it needs to have enough free space to allow for backups. And so, there's a problem.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:54 AM
  • Help here would be greatly appreciated. If there are any potentially crippling issues that I may come across in the future, I'd like to know now so I can possibly prevent them.
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:55 AM
  • BR

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Team ZigZag

Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:59 PM
  • Here are the logs:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9jch2gj1yxx2yuc

As if the mystery wasn't strange enough, the boot times have now 'switched': Soluto is reporting the longer boot times while Event Viewer is now reporting shorter boot times.

Monday, January 14, 2013 1:11 AM
  • BR

Problems in EV

1-Microsoft antimalware needs to be re-installed

2-Net runtime optimization service (wrong flavor or version)

3-literally thousands of errors from the Bonjour service (iTunes) which should be re-installed

4-Gigabit Ethernet driver needs to be re-installed.

Given these and many others I would start by running Malwarebytes, then a system file check

Please download the free version of Malwarebytes.
    Update it immediately.
    Do a full system scan
    Let us know the results at the end.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products

Run a system file check to verify and repair OS files.

To do this type cmd in search, then right click to run as administrator, then
    SFC /SCANNOW

It may need to be run up to three times before successful
    Let us know the results from the report at the end

Read here for more information
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 

Monday, January 14, 2013 11:31 PM
  • Malwarebytes did not detect anything. I've run the system file check four times, and each time it requested a reboot. I'm not sure if it's working, because it keeps finding some corrupt files.
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:04 PM
  • Malwarebytes did not detect anything. I've run the system file check four times, and each time it requested a reboot. I'm not sure if it's working, because it keeps finding some corrupt files.
    IF SFC finds things but cant fix them might be time for a repair install from the win 7 DVD

Monday, January 21, 2013 7:49 PM
    IF SFC finds things but cant fix them might be time for a repair install from the win 7 DVD

Is there a specific process to initiate a repair, or is it as simple as putting in the disc and rebooting?

Also, does it affect any of the data stored on the hard drives?

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:36 AM