none
DNS Query about record creation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I have a query related DNS which mentioned below, Please review and share your suggesions.

Assume that i have two DNS servers named ABC.com and XYZ.com. My requirement is to create a Cname record in XYZ.com domain for the host of ABC.com domain without creating an additional zone.

Let me know if possible or not. Also i heard about this can be implemented using DNS bluffing.

Regards

Sajin P S

Regards Sajin P S

Monday, February 1, 2016 10:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Sajin Pottekkat,

If domain abc.com and xyz.com are two separated domains, then we can't create records for abc.com in zone xyz.com.

The cname record mentioned by you is used in this way, for example, in xyz.com, we have record 1.xyz.com. We create a cname for 1.xyz.com as 2.xyz.com, then clients could resolve 1.xyz.com and 2.xyz.com to same IP address, since 2.xyz.com is the alias for 1.xyz.com. As we can see, all records created in zone xyz.com has the same suffix "xyz.com", it can't be changed to abc.com.

As far as I'm concerned, it's easy to create a secondary zone on DNS server hold zone xyz.com, so we may create a secondary zone abc.com on it and transfer records from the primary abc.com zone.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 2:34 AM

All replies

• Based on your description, I think that creating an empty CNAME record that points to ABC.com will do the needed job.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Monday, February 1, 2016 11:51 PM
  • Hi Sajin Pottekkat,

If domain abc.com and xyz.com are two separated domains, then we can't create records for abc.com in zone xyz.com.

The cname record mentioned by you is used in this way, for example, in xyz.com, we have record 1.xyz.com. We create a cname for 1.xyz.com as 2.xyz.com, then clients could resolve 1.xyz.com and 2.xyz.com to same IP address, since 2.xyz.com is the alias for 1.xyz.com. As we can see, all records created in zone xyz.com has the same suffix "xyz.com", it can't be changed to abc.com.

As far as I'm concerned, it's easy to create a secondary zone on DNS server hold zone xyz.com, so we may create a secondary zone abc.com on it and transfer records from the primary abc.com zone.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 2:34 AM