none
Project 2010 crashes when changing text font properties RRS feed

• Question

• Every time i change a font size or type on specific tasks names that appears like in the picture below, project crashes.

Does anyone knows why it happens?

i manage to fix it by using "Format Painter" and paint it from another task that is ok.

But i wish to know what makes the file become corrupted in the first place so that i'll be able to prevent it.

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Sunday, December 1, 2013 8:38 AM

All replies

• Do you have latest SP installed for the project?

Sapna Shukla

Sunday, December 1, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Ofir,

In addition to insuring SP2 is installed as Sapna suggests, you should also install the June 2013 cumulative update. That update was released after SP2 was released and fixes several crash issues.

You can download updates from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587

John

Sunday, December 1, 2013 3:56 PM
  • I'm pretty sure i have the latest SP and CU's installed, but i'll double check.

What else can it be?

Monday, December 2, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Ofir,

Well, it could be a corrupt Global file, a corrupt user profile, or something else. Is there anything more you can tell us about your file (i.e. are you in a Project Server environment, do you have external links, are you operating locally or on a remote server, etc.)?

First let us know about the updates. If everything is up to date I'd try creating a new user profile and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, then I'd go for re-creating the Global file.

John

Monday, December 2, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Hi John

I am on project server 2010 environment.

in this particular file i don't have external links.

I'm not operating on a remote server.

i don't know if this is a user profile issue.

The user a other files without problems.

and the publish is not working from any user with permissions.

Ofir

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:13 AM
  • I'd rule out a corrupt view before you start messing about with the global file. Does this only happen on this one view? If so, to clear this issue:

1. Swap to a different view
    2. Delete the view which you are facing this issue on (File > Info > Organizer)
    3. Rebuild the view and save

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:04 AM
  • By the way, i don't know why i wrote Publish in the last line, i meant the changes that causes the crash happened from different users.

I'm not sure if this occurs on different views, good point.

I'll look into it.

What if the view is global view?

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Ofir,

I don't user Project Server so I can't help you if it is a server related issue but if the problem is happening with this file only then I would suspect file corruption. Try saving the file to XML and then re-open in Project. Note, you will lose any custom formatting through this process.

By the way you never did tell us if you do in fact have SP2 and the June 2013 cumulative updated installed. You simply said you were "pretty sure" everything is updated.

John

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Hi Ofir,

As Andrew said, the first (and easiest) solution to explore would be a corrupt view. If you have the same behavior for any view, then you can conclude that the view is not corrupted.

Secondly, you could have a corrupted file: follow the link below to repair it.

http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=197

Finally the global might be corrupted but in this case, any user would have this issue, so I'd vote for the first 2 root causes.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 3:57 PM
  • I know.

i have to check it.

I'm consulting and supporting a company that i'm there once a week.

So i will be able to make sure that everything is updated next week...

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:22 AM
  • In my case I had copied text with hyperlink into one of the task cells.  The formatting was corrupt.  It had no identifiable font and the background was a color not in the color palete of MS Project.  Once I removed it and copied it back as text, I could modify the background colors of my tasks.  FYI.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 4:50 AM