Shut Down RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 will not shut down. It goes through the process of logging off, then gets to the shut down screen and will sit there indiffinatly. Can anyone help?
    Friday, February 27, 2009 7:01 AM

Answers

• I noticed that a screen pops up during shutdown telling me which apps are preventing it and offering a button, Force shutdown.
    Lots of times there is still a long delay, now sometimes I have installed something or changed a setting (so I give it time) and sometimes it puts up a notice to say it's doing something.
    other times it is suspicious and I don't trust that it isn't a virus just doing naughty things behind the scenes. So I hit the power button. By rights that would cause a message next boot that windows hadn't shut down properly, but no, mostly it is fine. Still I schedule a checkdisk,

never trust you havent got malicious code even with the latest definitions.....
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:15 AM

All replies

•  

To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you shut down, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). On this screen the problem is sometimes shown. If not, click View Performance Details in Event Log (Event Viewer). Events in the 200 series are shut down events. These can be followed up by double-clicking them, then clicking Event Log Online at the bottom.

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Monday, March 2, 2009 10:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tim Quan Tuesday, March 3, 2009 1:44 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Hello.
    I have the same problem and i don't know the way to solv the problem. Tryed to check for a solution and nothing, i left the options as they were after the instalation. The machine really doesn't shutdown, i'm wondering if it is the x64 SO ?

Anyone can help?

Thanks
    Monday, March 2, 2009 7:58 PM
  • How long is indefinitely? I'm asking because I've had some shutdown issues as well and just waited it out. Although the first time it happened I just pulled the plug...

By the way, you can dump all performance events to a file as follows (elevated command prompt):

wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %USERPROFILE%\Documents\performance.log
    • Edited by Ryan Capp Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:45 PM Command
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:16 PM
  • I mean that I shut it down when I go to sleep and it is still sitting there in the same spot 6 hours later when I wake up. I am running the 32-bit version.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Check your event logs for any errors. Also check the diagnostics log I mentioned earlier for 200, 201, 203 events.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Indefinitely is forever, or else an unplug solves the problem
    Resuming the problem, i click for shutdown and he goes through all the processes and even the
    screen shuts down and he keeps on.

Ryan Capp thanks for your opinion
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Do you see any shutdown warnings in Performance Information and Tools?

Open the Control Panel -> Performance Information and Tools

Performance Information and Tools 

Click on Programs are causing Windows to shut down slowly. View Details.

Performance Information and Tools - Advanced

Here's an example warning:

Performance Information and Tools - Shutdown
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Hey Ryan thanks for the help but unfortunlly it didn't solve the problem.
    In the Performance Issues there are no problems. I've tryed to update all the drivers (Board; graphics;....) and even the power management and nothing :S

I am afraid of burn something by forcing the shutdown by pressing 10sec the power button, but if i have no choice in the next days i will downgrade for Windows Vista, there i had NO PROBLEMS. :(

Thanks for the tips
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Sorry but i forgot something, in the EVENT VIEWER, i saw problems related as ERROR the following event id: 100, 200, 203, 351..

Most of them related with BOOT PERFOMANCE MONITORING; SHUTDOWN PERFOMANCE MONITORING; and SHUTDOWN MONITORING.

I don't know if the problems are related...

Thanks
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Well ID 100 might be the root cause if you're getting 200 (shutdown) and 203 (service delay) events as well.

Since there are multiple ID 100 events, I'm going to take a guess and say it's this one:

Event ID 100   
    Source drvmanager   
    Type Error   
    Description The service failed to shutdown correctly due to subprocess being unable to be killed. Error code: <error code>

351 doesn't seem to pertain to anything significant.

Edit: 100 might also just be boot performance. In any case, check to see exactly what those events say.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:32 PM
  • If you're not able to wrestle the information out of the many logfiles in Windows 7, try this:

Shutdown all open applications
    Shutdown everything in the Notification Area/System Tray (by the clock in the lower right corner)
    Then attempt to shutdown.

If it works, then the culprit is either in an open application or in the Notification Area/System Tray

If it doesn't work, do all of the above stuff, then start ending processes in the Processes tab of Task Manager (be sure to enable "Show processes from all users"

Don't terminate any of the svchost.exe processes this time (one or more of them may force an unplanned shutdown).
    Once you're done with all of that, then try to shutdown.  If it works, then the culprit is one of those that you killed.  So go back and do them one-by-one until you locate the problem.

- John
    • Proposed as answer by llynne Friday, March 13, 2009 2:03 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:35 PM
    Answerer
  • I have the same problem!and I go to device manager and uncheck all device  on  "allow device to wake the computer" because they prevent some process on the  sistem to shutdown.afther that work fine and shutdown
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:45 PM
  • I noticed that a screen pops up during shutdown telling me which apps are preventing it and offering a button, Force shutdown.
    Lots of times there is still a long delay, now sometimes I have installed something or changed a setting (so I give it time) and sometimes it puts up a notice to say it's doing something.
    other times it is suspicious and I don't trust that it isn't a virus just doing naughty things behind the scenes. So I hit the power button. By rights that would cause a message next boot that windows hadn't shut down properly, but no, mostly it is fine. Still I schedule a checkdisk,

never trust you havent got malicious code even with the latest definitions.....
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:15 AM
  • My friends i found a only answer, format c:\
    Now i found a better version, Windows7 ultimate, this version is much better and out of problems.

I hoppe you do the same, then, problem solved!

Good luck
    Friday, March 20, 2009 7:40 PM
  • yepp, there is nothing like a good format.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 9:55 PM
  • Well I've found that sometimes hitting a random key will shut it down and get it out of the freeze, but if all else fails push the power button for 5 - 10 Seconds...
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 8:59 PM