I need help RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Norton 360. So do I uninstall Windows Defender or what? They both cant be on my computer at the same time.
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi JonJon,

From my experience, you can run most third party security software's with Windows Defender without any issues. Both can be active at the same time, or if you choose, you could disable windows defender for peace of mind.

If you want to disable it, click start and type the following into the search box and then press enter:  msconfig

Then navigate to the startup tab and remove the check from windows defender in the list of startup applications.

Click apply and then click OK, and you will be prompted to restart your system or exit without restarting. Regardless of what option you choose, windows defender will no longer run after the next system restart.

You will often hear that you shouldn't have two anti-virus or security software packages installed at the same time, this means mcafee & Norton, norton & AVG etc. This for the most part is true as they can conflict with each other and give false positives, but this does not apply to windows defender.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

• Edited by ScousaJay Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:06 AM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:04 AM
  • Defender cannot be uninstalled.. Normally what happen when you install a realtime protection with spyware protection, is it automatically get disabled by automatically adding this key to the registry.. 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
    "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001

If it is windows 8/8.1 both keys added in the folloiwng manner.. 

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
    "DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001

"DisableAntiVirus"=dword:00000001

Since you have already installed Norton 360, at your part you have nothing to do, since defender is automatically disabled.

If you click on defender, you will get this 

Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:22 PM