Explanation - Select your computers current location?? RRS feed

• Question

• During RC2 install, an entire screen comes up asking you to select your location:

---------

Select your computer's current location

Windows has detected that this computer is connected to a network. Windows will automatically apply the correct network settings for the locaiton

Home - Choose this for a home or similar location. Your computer is discoverable and you can see other computers and devices

Work - Choose this for a workplace or similar location. Your computer is discoverable and you can see other computers and devices

Public Location - Choose this for airports, coffee shops and other public places or if you are directly connected to the Internet. Discovery of other computers and devices is limited.

---------

My question is: what is the difference between home & work? Note: there is no explanation or help available on this screen. For example, does Vista assume the computer belongs to a domain if you select Work? Any info anyone has would be helpful.

Sunday, October 8, 2006 2:49 AM

Answers

• Figured this out a while ago but forgot to mention here.

It is related to the firewall settings. For example, if you open up Control Panel > Windows Firewall, you have different firewall settings for "Domain networks", "Home or work (private) networks" and "Public networks"

When you select Home Or Work, it uses the firewall settings for "Home or work (private) networks"

When you select Public Location it uses the firewall settings for "Public networks"

And I think it can determine on it's own when it is on a Domain network.

Also, I think in Windows 7, this choice helps determine what your default printer is, as Windows 7 tracks home vs. work default printers.

• Marked as answer by Andrew Babiec Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• To be honest, I'm not surprised that you did not get an answer to this question! It's actually one of the things bugging me most about Windows Vista. I hate it when Windows makes decisions for me and not telling me what it's actually doing. The only thing I could actually find about it is this:

Use the Home option if the PC is connected to your home network. In this case, your PC will be made discoverable by other PCs and network devices, and you will be able to discover other PCs and devices on the network.

Work is configured similarly, but some of the media sharing options are disabled.

So if anybody has more information about it, i would be interested!

Friday, August 14, 2009 9:00 AM
  • I would like to know this as well.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Figured this out a while ago but forgot to mention here.

It is related to the firewall settings. For example, if you open up Control Panel > Windows Firewall, you have different firewall settings for "Domain networks", "Home or work (private) networks" and "Public networks"

When you select Home Or Work, it uses the firewall settings for "Home or work (private) networks"

When you select Public Location it uses the firewall settings for "Public networks"

And I think it can determine on it's own when it is on a Domain network.

Also, I think in Windows 7, this choice helps determine what your default printer is, as Windows 7 tracks home vs. work default printers.

• Marked as answer by Andrew Babiec Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:35 PM