none
DPMLA service won't start RRS feed

• Question

• This is on DPM 2012 R2 (yeah, I know, I know, not my choice :)

We seem to have had an unspecified issue on our DPM server, DPMLA service won't start currently and I don't have much information on what's cause this yet.

The symptoms though are that DPMLA won't start up in Windows Services and gives the following error:

"Windows could not start the DPMLA on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 1168."

In the Windows Event log I get an event 7024 with the following message that is unhelphul:

"The DPMLA service terminated with the following service-specific error: 
    Element not found."

Now I have seen Element not found before on the DPMRA service, and it meant a registry key was missing, but I don't know how to figure out what's going on with DPMLA this time as it's not as obvious.

There is nothing being written to the LAAgentCurr.errlog so I don't even think it's getting that far.  Nothing in the other logs either around the time when I try to start up the service.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this are welcome

• Edited by Drew Tilley Friday, October 2, 2020 1:49 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2020 1:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The DPMLA is not required to be running, also not even during tape backup, it is mainly used for operations such as library robotic arm operations, inventory, etc.; not for writing or reading data from tape.

Do you experience any issues within DPM itself?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, October 2, 2020 2:26 PM
  • We are unable to load in new tapes and inventory in order to run backups, hence DPMLA being the first port of call on this problem.  DPM Disk backups are working currently.

Is there a way of running a repair on DPM to fix the DPMLA service?  Or would it be a case of backup the database, uninstall DPM while maintaining the raw disk volumes, reinstall DPM, restore DPM database?

Monday, October 5, 2020 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

Before you reinstall the DPM, could you check for any errors/warnings in the event viewer after you try to start the DPMLA service?

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 5, 2020 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

I still only get the message reported in the original post:

"...Windows Services [] gives the following error:"

"Windows could not start the DPMLA on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 1168."

"In the Windows Event log I get an event 7024 with the following message that is unhelphul:"

"The DPMLA service terminated with the following service-specific error: 
    Element not found."

There is nothing written to the LAAgentCurr.errlog either unfortunately.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 6, 2020 7:36 AM
  • Do you recall any changes (for example updates, crashes, restarts) or anything that could be the root cause of this issue?

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, October 6, 2020 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

You can try re-creating the DPMLA service if you have any other working DPM server available, it may workout for you. Try below steps:

First take the registry backup. 

1. Use below command to delete the existing DPMLA service on the DPM server. 

sc delete service_name

Put the Service Name in the above command and then push Enter. 

2. After that go to the below registry key and make sure you do not see DPMLA key present there. If it still exists, remove it manually.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Note: If step 1 fails, try deleting the DPMLA reg key manually and then rerun the command on step1.

3. From working DPM server, export DPMLA reg key and then import it on the non working DPM server. 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DPMLA

4. Import the registry key on the problematic DPM server and reboot it once done. 

After reboot, DPMLA service should show up under services.msc mmc and then try to start it. 

If you do not have any other DPM server, then I would suggest you to reinstall your existing DPM setup. 

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 6, 2020 9:57 AM
  • Like many IT issues, the exact background is vague and second hand from colleagues.  I'm told that at the start of last week it BSOD'd and this seems to coincide with stopping of DPMLA service

Tuesday, October 6, 2020 2:19 PM
  • Just in case it helps anyone else; we raised this with premier support and the long and short of it is that they think it's registry corruption and the only way to resolve is to reinstall DPM and restore the database.  If we'd had a backup of the registry, we could have restored the DPM reg keys.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Thursday, October 8, 2020 8:54 AM
    • Edited by Drew Tilley Thursday, October 8, 2020 8:54 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2020 8:53 AM