Exchange Transport Service problem after update AVG? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, since this morning/yesterday evening I'm unable to send/recieve e-mail.

I think the AVG update is the issue.. in logfile i have the following error:

Microsoft Exchange couldn't start transport agents. The Microsoft Exchange Transport service will be stopped. Exception details: Failed to create type 'AvgTransportAgents4Exchange.AvgAntivirusSmtpReceiveAgentFactory' from assembly 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\\Exchange\Transport\avgavtaa.dll' due to error 'Invalid agent assembly path.'. : Microsoft.Exchange.Data.ExchangeConfigurationException: Failed to create type 'AvgTransportAgents4Exchange.AvgAntivirusSmtpReceiveAgentFactory' from assembly 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\\Exchange\Transport\avgavtaa.dll' due to error 'Invalid agent assembly path.'. ---> System.ArgumentException: Invalid agent assembly path.

--- Einde van intern uitzonderingsstackpad ---

bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable.CreateAgentFactory(AgentInfo agentInfo)

bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.FactoryTable..ctor(IEnumerable agents)

bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.RuntimeSettings..ctor(MExConfiguration config, String agentGroup)

bij Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.MExRuntime.Initialize(String configFile, String agentGroup, Boolean isBridgeHead, String installPath)

bij Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Extensibility.AgentComponent.Load()

I Disabled all avg transport agents with the Disable-TransportAgent.. That was the solution, but AVG is not scanning the mails for spam/virusses anymore I think..

Can anybody help me? Mails are not for weeks on the internet :S

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:22 PM

Answers

• For those Having issues after upgrading from AVG 2011 to 2012 E-Mail Server Edition

You will most likely have Exchange 2007/2010 and the Microsoft Exchange Transport Agent Service will start and then stop again.

AVG Will most likely show EMS (routing) : Stopped

This is what I had to do to fix the problem:

Open Microsoft Exchange Management Shell:

Type in:

1. Uninstall-TransportAgent "AVG 2011 Antivirus SMTP transport agent"  AND AT THE CONFIRMATION SCREEN TYPE "Y" FOR YES AND HIT ENTER.

2. Uninstall-TransportAgent "AVG 2011 Antivirus routing transport agent" AND AT THE CONFIRMATION SCREEN TYPE "Y" FOR YES AND HIT ENTER.

3. Uninstall-TransportAgent "AVG 2011 Antispam transport agent" AND AT THE CONFIRMATION SCREEN TYPE "Y" FOR YES AND HIT ENTER.

NOW ONCE COMPLETED WITH THE ABOVE STEPS DO THE FOLLOWING:

Located within this path on your server : "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\Exchange\Transport\Scripts" (Or the location where you installed AVG)

You will find 6 Script files.
    Use the Script files starting with "install".

Drag and drop the first script file "install-AVGAntispam.ps1" and press enter within the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell screen.

Drag and drop the first script file "install-AVGAntivirusRouting.ps1" and press enter within the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell screen.

Drag and drop the first script file "install-AVGAntivirusSMTP.ps1" and press enter within the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell screen.

Once the scripts has been installed for AVG 2012, you will notice that your Microsoft Exchange Transport Agent Service is started and functional, you will also notice that the AVG server Components is also working now.

• Edited by Python1983 Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, September 19, 2011 6:09 AM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:07 AM

All replies

• On Wed, 11 May 2011 22:22:42 +0000, Topvis wrote:

>Hi, since this morning/yesterday evening I'm unable to send/recieve e-mail.
    >
    >I think the AVG update is the issue.. in logfile i have the following error:

Uninstall the AVG software and contact their helpdesk for support.

[ snip ]

>I Disabled all avg transport agents with the Disable-TransportAgent.. That was the solution, but AVG is not scanning the mails for spam/virusses anymore I think..

After you complely remove AVG, reinstall it -- without the update.

>Can anybody help me? Mails are not for weeks on the internet :S

AVG can help you.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:24 AM
  • Hi Topvis,

If you plan the antivirus software for the exchange software, you could refer to below:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201667(EXCHG.80).aspx
    Maybe the issue caused by the wrong configuration of the software, confirm that the special directories have been excluded.

Regards!
    Gavin
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:36 AM
  • If AVG cant/wont help, maybe you should look at an alternative like ForeFront 2010.

From your logs, it clearly show AVG as being the issue.

Sukh
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:21 PM
  • For those Having issues after upgrading from AVG 2011 to 2012 E-Mail Server Edition

You will most likely have Exchange 2007/2010 and the Microsoft Exchange Transport Agent Service will start and then stop again.

AVG Will most likely show EMS (routing) : Stopped

This is what I had to do to fix the problem:

Type in:

1. Uninstall-TransportAgent "AVG 2011 Antivirus SMTP transport agent"  AND AT THE CONFIRMATION SCREEN TYPE "Y" FOR YES AND HIT ENTER.

2. Uninstall-TransportAgent "AVG 2011 Antivirus routing transport agent" AND AT THE CONFIRMATION SCREEN TYPE "Y" FOR YES AND HIT ENTER.

3. Uninstall-TransportAgent "AVG 2011 Antispam transport agent" AND AT THE CONFIRMATION SCREEN TYPE "Y" FOR YES AND HIT ENTER.

NOW ONCE COMPLETED WITH THE ABOVE STEPS DO THE FOLLOWING:

Located within this path on your server : "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\Exchange\Transport\Scripts" (Or the location where you installed AVG)

You will find 6 Script files.
    Use the Script files starting with "install".

Drag and drop the first script file "install-AVGAntispam.ps1" and press enter within the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell screen.

Drag and drop the first script file "install-AVGAntivirusRouting.ps1" and press enter within the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell screen.

Drag and drop the first script file "install-AVGAntivirusSMTP.ps1" and press enter within the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell screen.

Once the scripts has been installed for AVG 2012, you will notice that your Microsoft Exchange Transport Agent Service is started and functional, you will also notice that the AVG server Components is also working now.

• Edited by Python1983 Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, September 19, 2011 6:09 AM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Many thanks Python1983 - your fix worked a treat.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:41 AM
  • For those with Exchange 2010 who are in a position where a reboot is acceptable: uninstalling AVG 2012, rebooting my Server 2008, then reinstalling AVG 2012 brought back my SMTP services and enabled all AVG E-Mail Server services.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Very helpful thank you !!
    Monday, July 29, 2013 6:57 PM