Ultimate 64bit unable to recognize certain DVD Movies RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have two DVD RW+/-'s. A GSA-H54N DVD-RAM (LG) and a LITE-ON SOHW-1613S.

Both are compatable with DVD RW+/-.

Both worked perfectly until I upgraded to Vista from XP Pro.

First, the drives didn't show up. I fixed that (thank you random forum folk).

Now, they only read certain DVD's. Most retail DVDs that I own or rent don't work at all (Some do). All of the discs work on other machines. My backup disks (DVD R+) work fine.

The drives also work perfectly in Knoppix.

I've done the Upper/Lower filters thing, and unistalled/reinstalled the devices. I've upgraded both firmwares successfully. What next?

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 6:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This behavior may occur if one of the following factors is true:

1. The CD/DVD is corrupt or damaged.
    2. The DVD drives were blocked by third party programs.

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we first perform these steps:

Step 1: Please insert another CD/DVD to see if it can be read by the computer.

If it cannot be read, please let me know if any error message is received. Please let me know the detailed error information. Meanwhile, let's try to read a CD/DVD in Safe Mode which loads the system with the minimum amount of programs and devices.

We can enter Safe Mode using the following steps:

a. Restart the computer and start pressing the F8 key on the keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, press the F8 key when the boot menu appears.
    b. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.
    c. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with Administrator privileges.

NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return to Normal Mode, we need to restart the computer.

Step 2: If you have another computer available, please test this CD/DVD to check if it can be read properly and then we can determine whether this CD is physically corrupted.

If the CD/DVD cannot be read, please let me know if any error message is received. Please let me know the detailed error information.

Step 3: Change the Transfer Mode
    ==========================
    1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
    2. In the Device Manager, expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and right click "Secondary IDE channel".
    3. Choose "Properties", check the Device Status and click "Advanced Settings".
    4. Change the transfer mode of Device 0 and Device 1 as "PIO only".

Click OK and restart the computer. Does it work now? If it still does not work, we will need to modify some Registry settings:

Step 4: Modify the Registry
    =====================
    1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

This behavior may occur if one of the following factors is true:

1. The CD/DVD is corrupt or damaged.
    2. The DVD drives were blocked by third party programs.

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we first perform these steps:

Step 1: Please insert another CD/DVD to see if it can be read by the computer.

If it cannot be read, please let me know if any error message is received. Please let me know the detailed error information. Meanwhile, let's try to read a CD/DVD in Safe Mode which loads the system with the minimum amount of programs and devices.

We can enter Safe Mode using the following steps:

a. Restart the computer and start pressing the F8 key on the keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, press the F8 key when the boot menu appears.
    b. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.
    c. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with Administrator privileges.

NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return to Normal Mode, we need to restart the computer.

Step 2: If you have another computer available, please test this CD/DVD to check if it can be read properly and then we can determine whether this CD is physically corrupted.

If the CD/DVD cannot be read, please let me know if any error message is received. Please let me know the detailed error information.

Step 3: Change the Transfer Mode
    ==========================
    1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
    2. In the Device Manager, expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and right click "Secondary IDE channel".
    3. Choose "Properties", check the Device Status and click "Advanced Settings".
    4. Change the transfer mode of Device 0 and Device 1 as "PIO only".

Click OK and restart the computer. Does it work now? If it still does not work, we will need to modify some Registry settings:

Step 4: Modify the Registry
    =====================
    1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 10:54 AM