locked
DPM 2012 reports not emailing using SQL 2012 SSRS and Exchange 2010 as SMTP server RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a new install of DPM 2012 and am unable to configure it to email reports.  I am using SQL 2012 for the DPM database with Reporting Services installed on the same DPM server.  The SMTP server I am using is my Exchange 2010 server.  The SSRS windows service is running as a domain account.  This SSRS domain account has a valid Exchange mailbox/email address and this is the email I am using as the "Sender Address" in both SQL Reporting Services Configuration Manager and DPM.  Exchange and DPM are in the same AD domain.  I can send emails from DPM for job alerting, but the DPM report emails never send.  I do not have the Windows SMTP service installed locally on the DPM\SSRS server as I am trying to use my Exchange server, so I did not think it would be necessary to have the Windows SMTP service installed locally.

    rsreportserver.config file config is:

       <Extension Name="Report Server Email" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.EmailDeliveryProvider.EmailProvider,ReportingServicesEmailDeliveryProvider">
        <MaxRetries>3</MaxRetries>
        <SecondsBeforeRetry>900</SecondsBeforeRetry>
        <Configuration>
         <RSEmailDPConfiguration>
          <SMTPServer>smtp.mydomain.com</SMTPServer>
          <SMTPServerPort>
          </SMTPServerPort>
          <SMTPAccountName>
          </SMTPAccountName>
          <SMTPConnectionTimeout>
          </SMTPConnectionTimeout>
          <SMTPServerPickupDirectory>
          </SMTPServerPickupDirectory>
          <SMTPUseSSL>
          </SMTPUseSSL>
          <SendUsing>2</SendUsing>
          <SMTPAuthenticate>2</SMTPAuthenticate>
          <From>SVC_SSRS@maildomain.com</From>
          <EmbeddedRenderFormats>
           <RenderingExtension>CSV</RenderingExtension>
          </EmbeddedRenderFormats>
          <PrivilegedUserRenderFormats>
          </PrivilegedUserRenderFormats>
          <ExcludedRenderFormats>
           <RenderingExtension>HTMLOWC</RenderingExtension>
           <RenderingExtension>NULL</RenderingExtension>
           <RenderingExtension>RGDI</RenderingExtension>
          </ExcludedRenderFormats>
          <SendEmailToUserAlias>True</SendEmailToUserAlias>
          <DefaultHostName>
          </DefaultHostName>
          <PermittedHosts>
          </PermittedHosts>
         </RSEmailDPConfiguration>
        </Configuration>
       </Extension>

    The ReportServerService__.log file shows only the following error:

    emailextension!WindowsService_80!ee0!03/20/2013-10:30:20:: e ERROR: Error sending email. Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040605): Unknown Error
       at ReportingServicesCDOInterop.MessageClass.set_HTMLBody(String pHTMLBody)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.EmailDeliveryProvider.EmailProvider.AddContent(MailMessage message, Encoding encoding, String content)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.EmailDeliveryProvider.EmailProvider.CreateMessage(Notification notification)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.EmailDeliveryProvider.EmailProvider.Deliver(Notification notification)
    notification!WindowsService_80!ee0!03/20/2013-10:30:20:: i INFO: Notification 44227d07-aeaa-4e3b-a678-2efd1bdb8a8e completed.  Success: True, Status: Failure sending mail: Unknown ErrorMail will not be resent., DeliveryExtension: Report Server Email, Report: Status, Attempt 0

    I've tried the following with no success...

    1. Configuring an Exchange receive connector with Permission Groups of "Exchange servers" and Authentication as "Externally Secured" and added the IP of the DPM\SSRS server.
    2. Switched from using two separate domain accounts for SSRS and DPM alerting to just using the SSRS account for both SSRS service and DPM alerting (this is how I have it configured now)
    3. Changed the DPM report to use Excel as the format
    4. Specified values in the rsreportserver.config for "UrlRoot" = http://dpmserver:80/ReportServer_DPMSQL
    5. Specified values in the rsreportserver.config for "PermittedHosts" = <HostName>smtp.mydomain.com</HostName>  <HostName>mydomain.com</HostName>  <HostName>maildomain.com</HostName>
    6. Specified values in the rsreportserver.config for "SendEmailToUserAlias" = "False", then set the "DefaultHostName" = smtp.mydomain.com

    I've searched the internet for possible answers, but haven't found anything that has worked.

    Appreciate any help.

    Cheers,

    Rene

    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:18 PM

Answers

  • Got it working.  Turns out all I needed to do was REBOOT the darn DPM\SSRS server.  I didn't think this would be necessary because all the documentation I read online said that the changes would take effect immediately and no restart of the SSRS services would be needed.  Oh well, at least its working now.

    So, in the end I got it work under these conditions:

    1. Separate domain user accounts for Windows SSRS service and DPM alerting.  The DPM alerting account had a valie email address\mailbox on the Exchange server.  The SSRS account was given "send as" permissions on the DPM alerting mailbox.
    2. No need to specify the DPM\SSRS IP address in an Exchange receive connector.
    3. rsreportserver.config file had parameters <SendUsing>2</SendUsing> and <SMTPAuthenticate>2</SMTPAuthenticate>
    4. SSRS email settings were the same as for DPM, both were using the DPM alerting domain account

    So, the morale of the story is REBOOT :)

    Cheers,

    Rene

    • Marked as answer by rizquierdojr Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:11 PM