Can not edit data labels in old graph chart objects using Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• In Word 2010, Insert object "Microsoft Graph Chart", go to Chart Options and check an item in Data labels, such as "Series Name", "Category Name" or "Value". Click OK, then double-click on a data label to edit its settings, or right-click on a data label and select "Format Data Labels..."

This makes Word to crash. The only way I can get out of it is by using the Task Manager to kill Word.

This happens in Windows 7 and Windows 8. This does NOT not happen in Word 2007 nor Word 2013, so it seems specific to Word 2010. All our clients have the same problem, this does not seem related to a specific workstation configuration.

The Microsoft Graph Chart are the old charts used within .doc files. I have an application still generating those types of files and need to edit data label settings manually before processing the files with my application.

Also note that anytime you edit a .doc file in Word 2010 and you see "Compatibility Mode" in the title bar, the Insert / Chart option from the ribbon inserts an old type chart (same as if you use Insert / Object / Microsoft Graph Chart), not the new Word 2010 charts. You then have the same problem editing the data labels.

The underlying Activex seems to be the Chart.Exe file, the one I have installed is 14.0.7012.1000. You can see the version by double-clicking the chart and then look in the Help / About menu.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:31 PM

All replies

• As this is a configuration issue and not a programming issue I' moving your question to a more appropriate forum where you're more likely to find assistance.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:03 PM