none
Expanded VHDX Hard Drive Not Expanding RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Hyper-V on a 2016 Server and trying to expand one of the VMs. I shut it down and then went to settings, Hard Drive, Edit, Expand. This seemed to have worked fine and I turned back on the VM. However, the C drive was not any larger.

After some research I noticed I needed to expand the partition in Disk Manager to an unallocated part that was created in step one, but there is no unallocated part. There is plenty of room on the partition with the VHDX VMs. And actually recently I added a new VM and gave it a few GBs and that all worked within Hyper-V.

Right now when I inspect the expanded VM the Maximum Disk Size is corrected to the expanded size.

Not sure what else to do.

Thanks for any help.

Friday, March 13, 2020 3:23 PM

Answers

• The Hyper-V part is only step 1.

Step 2 is expanding the partition INSIDE the VM. As in, start the VM, get into it through PowerShell or its console, or whatever you want, and use the tools there to expand its partition into the newly allocated space. Disk Management in the management OS will not help you.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Marked as answer by MickesO Friday, March 27, 2020 3:06 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2020 2:52 PM

All replies

• Please post a screenshot of Disk Management

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 13, 2020 3:33 PM
  • Unfortunately, I cannot post a link or image. Trying to get verified.
    Friday, March 13, 2020 8:56 PM
  • Sounds good then

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 13, 2020 9:09 PM
  • I'm wondering if it matters that the VHDX is dynamic, rather than fixed. I'm a little unclear exactly how they dynamic works, but could it be that it will get bigger when it needs to?

Thanks

Sunday, March 15, 2020 4:55 PM
  • Something here may help.

https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/resize-virtual-hard-disks-hyper-v-2016/

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Sunday, March 15, 2020 6:20 PM
  • After some research I noticed I needed to expand the partition in Disk Manager to an unallocated part that was created in step one, but there is no unallocated part. 

Hi MickesO,

Please try to use diskpart to extend the partition, check if it could work.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 16, 2020 7:43 AM
  • Hi MickesO,

I am writing to check how things are going on your side? If you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to feedback. If there's not, please mark useful reply as answer.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2020 2:20 AM
  • I can try this yes, but I'm not sure what I should set the size too. The thing is all of my VM hard drives are in the same partition. The partition is much larger than the total allotted drive space per VM. So each VM doesn't have it's own partition. 
    Friday, March 27, 2020 2:13 PM
  • Here is the Disk Management.

Note: Date E is the partition that has the VMs. I and F are external hard drives that are used for backups.

Friday, March 27, 2020 2:16 PM
  • You need to expand the partition inside the VM, not inside the management OS.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Friday, March 27, 2020 2:40 PM
  • I believe I did that. I used Hyper-V to expand the drive. If I inspect the VM it has the proper new size, but if I look at the vhdx file it has the old size.

Inspect

VHDX Properties

Friday, March 27, 2020 2:49 PM
  • The Hyper-V part is only step 1.

Step 2 is expanding the partition INSIDE the VM. As in, start the VM, get into it through PowerShell or its console, or whatever you want, and use the tools there to expand its partition into the newly allocated space. Disk Management in the management OS will not help you.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog

• Marked as answer by MickesO Friday, March 27, 2020 3:06 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2020 2:52 PM
  • Oh, you mean just login in the VM desktop and do from there. That make sense. I just checked in the disk managment on the VM and there is the unallocated.

Thank you so much.

Friday, March 27, 2020 3:05 PM