Server 2008 R2 shortcuts, admin tools, missing, program features to turn windows features on or off not working... RRS feed

• Question

• I have an all windows environment with a primary domain controller that runs windows server 2008 R2 at the windows server 2003 server functional level because I have a couple windows 2003 servers.

My problem is all of sudden program files from the start menu disappeared. According to the start menu I have very few programs installed which is not true and the few folders that are left some display empty when I know for a fact that they should contain programs.

Also the IIS Admin Service fails to start and who knows how many other problems but it does not seem to be related to malware I ran many malware tests and I have run chkdsk and there were no viruses nor bad sectors found. 

Also when I use the Programs module and try to click turn windows features on or off nothing happens.

I have random errors in the event log, my guess is a memory leak but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot a memory error besides running the memory diagnostics tool.

The server is up to date, and this happens with any user I log in with whether its remotely or locally I also get the server manger link missing error.

Can someone please help? I would like to get my menu items back and be able to start the iis admin service.

Thanks

• Edited by lem2345 Monday, July 18, 2011 2:12 PM Sorry I meant to add that the actual server is windows server 2008 r2
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the operating system is Windows Server 2008 R2, please try the similar steps provided by the following Microsoft KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Regards,

Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact
     tnmff@microsoft.com .

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:49 AM

All replies

• The first thing I would try in such scenario would be to go to the System Tools, then run System Restore. Once triggered, try to use your own judgement to sellect the best time and date for restore action. I will suggest you take the first default when in doubt. One last thing: do this (System Restore) on Friday night or Saturday morning to avoid disrupting anyone.

Dr. Israel King MBA,MCSE,MCT,MCDBA,OCPDBA,CCNA,CIW,PhD.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:08 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you perform a Clean Boot to verify if there is any software conflicts. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article. Please note, the steps to perform a Clean Boot for Windows Server 2003 is the same as for Windows XP.

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

What’s the result in Clean Boot?

Regards,

Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact
     tnmff@microsoft.com . 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:46 AM
  • I apologize, but the server in question is a Windows 2008 R2 server, are the clean boot steps the same?
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

Since the operating system is Windows Server 2008 R2, please try the similar steps provided by the following Microsoft KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Regards,

Forum Support
     tnmff@microsoft.com .

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Forum Support
    tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 25, 2011 2:01 AM