none
DPM encountered a critical error while performing an I/O operation on the tape File Server-00000004 (Barcode - ) in Drive IBM ULT3580-HH4 SCSI Sequential Device. (ID 30101 Details: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (0x80070 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am experiencing the following error in Data Protection Manager and can't get it fixed or resolved:

"DPM encountered a critical error while performing an I/O operation on the tape File Server-00000004 (Barcode - ) in Drive IBM ULT3580-HH4 SCSI Sequential Device. (ID 30101 Details: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (0x8007045D))". Also at times only 0.13MB is written to the tape when the error occurs.

My setup:

O/S: Windows 2012 R2 as a VM on VMware esxi 5.5

Data Protection Manager 2012 R2

Tape drive: IBM ULT3580-HH4 SCSI Sequential Device Firmware: A233 (As a standalone drive)

When I do diagnostics with ITDT (IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool) from the server, everything runs ok in the tool. No errors. Which then suggests that the problem is with DPM.

I have searched the net and tried many different things, i.e. registry editing, reinstalling driver. No luck.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Try setting this registry to reduce the number of buffers DPM send to the tape drive.

Copy the information between the start and end copy and save it to a file called buffer.reg then right-click and chose the option to merge.

<Start_Copy>

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent]
       "BufferQueueSize"=dword:00000003

>end_copy<

Without the registry key the default buffer queue size is 10. The reg. key overrides the value and sets it to 3.

Also please review this BLOG and set the BuryRetryCount for your tape device.

Note: (The Storport key does not exist by default)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\<DEVICEID>\<INSTANCE>\DeviceParameters\Storport\
    Value - BusyRetryCount
    Type - DWORD
    Data - 20 Decimal (default) <---- Change to 250dec (0XFA)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 28, 2015 5:33 PM