Listing Windows Explorer "Details" view to a text file RRS feed

• Question

• I have a  folder with a large number of tagged MP3 files.

In Win7 when I display using Windows Explorer with the "Details" view, it can show many properties including MP3 metadata  for example Artist, Album, Title etc...
    Is it possible to "dump" to a simple text file what the Explorer window displays (particularly the MP3 tags) ?

For comparison, in a console window, one can use:
       dir    >outlist.txt
    to dump a  listing of all files, with size, creation date etc. in a folder to the outlist.txt file.
    But I ALSO want all the MP3 tag info as in the Explorer window view. 

Is this possible?

www.jensign.com
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• What you are looking for are the ID3 tag fields for mp3 files.  I suggest doing a Bing search on ID3 tags and there are numerous free programs available that do similar to what you are asking for.
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration tool | [PowerShell GUI] New AD User Creation tool
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:07 PM
  • What you are looking for are the ID3 tag fields for mp3 files.  I suggest doing a Bing search on ID3 tags and there are numerous free programs available that do similar to what you are asking for.
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration tool | [PowerShell GUI] New AD User Creation tool

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping that there might be some built-in (to Win7) way to dump the information that is visible in the Explorer window to a text file (or perhaps an Excel doc). It isn't just the MP3 tags but also other displayable info related to audio such as bit-rate etc.

www.jensign.com
    Friday, October 28, 2011 1:39 PM
  • thinking about this - perhaps some screen capture to OCR to Excel method? clunky
    and kludgy but possible.

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:39:41 +0000, Jensigner wrote:

> I was hoping that there might be some built-in (to Win7) way to dump the information that is visible in the Explorer window to a text file (or perhaps an Excel doc). It isn't just the MP3 tags but also other displayable info related to audio such as bit-rate etc.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:02 AM
  • The idea of a simple text file is that (in my case with over 3000 tracks), it will be extremely fast and easy to search through the listing (either directly with notepad for example, or popping it into an html page and searching in IE). I tried this using dir /b  >songlist.txt    (for a "barebones" listing with just the file name) and it is very fast.

Now how to get that extra track info. EASILY into this same type of white-space delimited txt file. I'll have to look at the api which explorer uses to get the info it displays .. possibly write a simple C# app to dump out the into into text.

www.jensign.com
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Not possible with Explorer as far as I know, but Mp3tag can export to text and HTML (and CSV, which can be imported back into Excel).
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    • Marked as answer by Jensigner Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:44 PM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Thanks. I'll check Mp3tag out.

www.jensign.com
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:45 PM