Embedded word file in excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is a spreadsheet I've been using for some time now and the embedded word file was working. Today I'm having trouble opening the file. When I click on the file handles appears as though I want to copy of move the file to another location.

Thanks.

Friday, February 2, 2018 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean you cannot open the Excel file or the Word file in it?

How did you embed the document?

Do you link the Word document to the file?

I tried to create a Excel Workbook and go to Insert- Object- From file- Select a Word document- checked link to file and display as an icon. I changed the Word file document, then I opened the Excel Workbook and I got the message about update links. I cannot double click the Word document and open it from Excel Workbook, but I didn't get any error message.

Please provide the detail information about your problem and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 5, 2018 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.  These are the steps I did to embed the word file which was working until recently.  Now when I click to open the file the handles appears but the file is not opening.

1. Click inside the cell of the spreadsheet where you want to insert the object

2. Select the "Insert" tab. Click "Object" in the Text group to open the Object dialog box

3. Select the "Create From File" tab. Click the "Browse" button and locate the file you want to attach. Click the file to select it and click the "Insert" button

4.  Select the "Create Icon" check box to insert an icon that links to the file.

Thanks!

ak

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:05 PM