Unable to access context menu by rightclicking RRS feed

• Question

• I am the administrator.

Start up occurs normally.

However, When I right click on a file or icon, desktop or in and drive, nothing happens.  Nada. Neither in Desktop nor in files.

I looked in Start Menu and all permissions seem to checked properly in Start Menu > Customize>  "enable context menus and dragging  and dropping", which is checked.

OK: MY BAD ---

All this occurred after I installed a software which is called "RegCleanPro", a supposed registry cleaner and registry defragger.

The ReClean Pro software diagnostic indicated my registry had lots of errors, though I personally could not tell from how the computer operated.  So I installed it and am sorry.

I went to uninstall it after it wanted me to purchase the software and when I went to uninstall the software, during the uninstall process it offered me a free one time "fix" of the supposed registry problems.  I went for it, ate the apple so to say.

I know,  know, I should not have installed in the first place but the software said it was a special Microsoft Partner, and its ad came up on a Windows 7 answer page to another unrelated question.

I Uninstalled the RegCleanPro software.  Restored system to an earlier point and still I have no access to my right click context menu.

So my bad.

I am reluctant to do a "Repair" install of Windows 7 without investigating all possibilities.

(I have Windows 7 file (naturally without updates) in ISO format and in EXE format on pen drives, and a cd.)

Please advise if there is a simpler way to retain access to right click functions.

Please be very detailed in your suggestions.  Please be VERY DETAILED to a fault in your explanations and directions.

So one step at a time, please:

Is there any way to initiate access to my right click / context menu function via a diagnostic or fix or repair or reinstall of this system function?

Thank you  in advance.

HP DV 6928, Windows 7, Home Premium
    Monday, May 16, 2011 3:54 AM

All replies

• I

I also performed a check of the system files (SFC, in command prompt) - Command prompt> sfc /sfcscannow -- and no issues were reported as integrity was good "Windows recover protection did not find integrity problems" and  also added a new administrative user account and the function works but not seemingly correctly.

I started in Safe mode in the corrupt user account and the context menu function is NOT working there.

Monday, May 16, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, seems the software you have installed broke or corrupted the registry and components of Windows 7.

Since you have tried a system restore but failed, and the issue occurs with Safe Mode,  I suggest to perform an in-place upgrade to fix it. Please follow the steps in the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Thank you.  Will advise.  I suspect that the issue may be after all, a hardware problem with the wireless mouse.  A wired mouse works.  Could it be that one mouse is affected and another works?  Unlikely.

May update Windows 7 nevertheless to make sure the registry is consistent with Windows 7.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:10 PM