• Question

• I have a task in a schedule that I inherited that has the following:

Task is Fixed units effort driven

Task has 80 hrs work

Task has 20 days duration

Task start date is 10/22/12

Task finish date is 11/5/12

Task mode is autoschedule.

It appears that the dates are being calculated based on the work and not the duration of the task.  The usage view shows start of 10/22 and end on 11/5. 

So why is the duration showing 20 days instead of 11 days?

Calendar is a modified standard calendar that incorporates Holidays only.

The assigned resource has the same calendar.

There is no task calendar assigned.

Project options are set at:

Default start time of 9 am

Default end time of 2 pm

Hours per day 4

Hours per week 20

Days per month 15

I have changed these options to match the calendar and default settings.  This did not have any impact on this task.

I am sure that I am missing some setting or something here, but just can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Leah,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:-)

It sounds as though you have a mis-match with calendars and working hours.  Did you change the calendar's working hours to 4 per day? You might like to see FAQ Item: 5. Default Working Hours

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :-)

Mike Glen
    Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:04 PM

All replies

• I am using MSOP 2010 with SP1
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Hi Leah,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:-)

It sounds as though you have a mis-match with calendars and working hours.  Did you change the calendar's working hours to 4 per day? You might like to see FAQ Item: 5. Default Working Hours

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :-)

Mike Glen
    Project MVP

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.  I agree with what you have said.  I am still puzzled however, in the fact that the duration field has 20 days given the fact that the start date is 10/22 and finish is 11/5.  There is only a possible 11 days or 15 days if you count weekends. 

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:49 PM
  • LEAH12;

When you modified the standard calendar, did you go to the "work weeks" tab and modify the working hours for the working days?  Changing the default start and end times on the options page does nothing to the working hours in the calendar.  Project would be telling you the right number of days since you set the options to 4 hours per "day".  If the working hours did not get changed on the standard calendar, they flow through to the resource calendar, which means they are still on the default of 8 hours of working time (which equates to 2 of your 4-hour days).

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:56 AM
  • sounds as though you are using the 24/7 project calendar which gives the 20 days duration.

Mike Glen

Project MVP (97-11)

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Hi leah,

Have you reset the default working times on the resource calendar or is it still standard 08:00 to 12:00 & 13:00 to 17:00?

I re-created your situation and had the same results as you until i changed the resource calendar to working times to 09:00 to 12:00 & 13:00 to 14:00. Then i had 80hrs work 20 days duration starting 22nd oct finishing 16th Nov.

Is this what you were expecting to happen?

Regards

Steve

Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Leah,

Goto Task Usage view and check whether the Work hours for the Task row  and the Assignment row is 4hrs for each day in the timephased grid. If the timephased work is showing 8hrs each day in the grid then goto the Resource sheet. Double click on Resource name which is assigned to the task. On the General Tab, select Change Working time button and select the appropriate calendar which has 9:00 am to 2:00 pm settings.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:59 PM
  • This is because you changed the definition of 'a day' to be 4 hours long instead of 8 hours but Im thinking that you did not modify the calendar so that it's days were only 4 hours long. There are 20 4 hour long periods of time between the 22nd and the 5th given that your task started at 9am but the calendar started at 8. Im guessing that the finish time on the 5th is 9am.

Change your calendar to start at 9am and end at 1pm (4 hours) and it should work out better.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:17 AM