none
Normal Full Backup in SIMPLE Mode RRS feed

• Question

• I have several databases in one protection group being backed up, one of which is test only and not critical. Currently the backup for this database is failing with the following:

The statement BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the recovery model is SIMPLE. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the recovery model using ALTER DATABASE.
    (ID 30173 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990D18)

My database resources are telling me they don't want to change the recovery mode out of SIMPLE and that we only need "normal full backups without transaction logs." I don't know how to adjust the job to meet this requirement, can somebody point me in a direction?

Thanks in adavance.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:59 PM

Answers

• Was this DB set to full and changed to simple while it was already being protected by DPM?

What you can try to do is stop protection of that database (you can retain the data) and then add it back to the protection group.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Jeff-4201 Friday, January 13, 2012 11:25 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 12:31 AM

All replies

• Was this DB set to full and changed to simple while it was already being protected by DPM?

What you can try to do is stop protection of that database (you can retain the data) and then add it back to the protection group.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by Jeff-4201 Friday, January 13, 2012 11:25 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 12:31 AM
  • Wilson, yes it was already in the protection group when it was changed. "Turning it off and on again" per your suggestion fixed it, thanks much.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 11:25 AM