Search files lost sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Hello friends,

In a folder on server Windows Server 2012, I have many files, they are sequential, type 00001ste.xlm, 00002ste.xlm, 00003ste.xlm, and so on.
    Sometimes this sequence breaks, then there are missing files and I need to identify which ones of the sequence are missing and in the folder we have more than 1000 files.
    Does anyone here know a power shell script to help me with this task?

I'm very grateful !

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Ivanildo,

Thanks for your question.

About your question, you just want to get the missing file of the sequence. I think "Test-Path" cmdlet can help you to solve it. I hope you can get something from the example below.

$numbers = 1..1000
    foreach ($number in $numbers) {
    $path = "filepath\0000$number`ste.xml"
    if (Test-Path $path) {
    # file exists
    } else {
    Write-Host "$path file does not exist"
    }
    }

May be you also need to verify the script for your need. I hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Ivanildo,

Thanks for your question.

About your question, you just want to get the missing file of the sequence. I think "Test-Path" cmdlet can help you to solve it. I hope you can get something from the example below.

$numbers = 1..1000
    foreach ($number in $numbers) {
    $path = "filepath\0000$number`ste.xml"
    if (Test-Path $path) {
    # file exists
    } else {
    Write-Host "$path file does not exist"
    }
    }

May be you also need to verify the script for your need. I hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 3:11 AM
  • It worked, thank you very much for the help.

Ivanildo Teixeira Galvão

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 11:24 AM
  • I think I'd modify one of the lines in your script, but that would depend on the format of the file names. If, for example, the file name must always 12 characters long then your script would work for the first 9 files but fail when the 10th file name was checked.

If the length of the file name must always be 12 characters then substituting this for your line of code would satisfy the requirement:

$path = "filepath\" + ("{0:D5}" -f $_) + "ste.xml"

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange Ex-MVP (16 years)

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:23 PM