none
Excel import Wizard Crashes Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to import a project plan into Project 2010 from an Excel file but everytime the wizard gets to the step to pick the worksheets it crashes Project.  Project just exits.  I have re-installed everything done the service pack 1 etc.  My excel spreadsheet has the tabs for Tasks, resource table and assignments. I am running Windows 7 with Project professional 2010.  I am importing as a new project, and select tasks, resources and assignments...

On the rare ocassion that it doesn't crash, the assignments import with 0% resource assignment units.  I would be happy to send the file to somebody to see if I have an error.  It is a small project(about 21 tasks)

Brian

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:26 PM

Answers

• Brian,

Just for reference, importing data from Excel to Project is not a simple process, especially if you are trying to import tasks, resources and assignments. Nonetheless I'll take a look at you files. Hopefully I can find something that will solve the crashing problem, but then again it may not crash for me at all.

My e-mail is below. Zip the files. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is an alpha)

• Marked as answer by Finleyb Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:29 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:00 PM

All replies

• Brian,

Just for reference, importing data from Excel to Project is not a simple process, especially if you are trying to import tasks, resources and assignments. Nonetheless I'll take a look at you files. Hopefully I can find something that will solve the crashing problem, but then again it may not crash for me at all.

My e-mail is below. Zip the files. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is an alpha)

• Marked as answer by Finleyb Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:29 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:00 PM
  • I would recommend you to delete all temporary files from your machine for MS Ofice including MS Project.

Clean Project Professional cache.

Restart you machine and start fresh.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:53 AM
  • John,

Thanks for the help.  Changing the percentages to text in excel worked great as well as getting rid of the finish date and just supplying start and duration.

Brian

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Brian,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:22 PM