Poor performance while opening folder - vista Sp2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Problem: I created a folder-MOVIES, which has movies, around 170 movies(folders only one level folders). After adding few new movie folder, opening of MOVIE folder takes 2min, this is true also for refreshing activity. So i create new folders outside MOVIE folder and moved all files. 

Even after moving all files from MOVIE folder, opening of empty folder takes same time. Any one can help here to understand why and the solution for the same.

I think this is because of more entries in the folder file, i am not sure, just guessing

thanks in advance for time

Regards,

KC

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:21 PM

Answers

• The issue is that windows is trying to create thumbnails. Change the view to details and it will be faster.

Windows MVP, paid Remote Assistance is available for XP, Vista and Windows 7.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Hi KC,

I suggest clear and reset the thumbnail cache to resolve the issue:

Open Disk Cleanup.
    Check the Thumbnails box and click on OK
    Click on the Delete Files button.
    Disk Cleanup will now clear the thumbnail cache and close.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hi KC,

I suggest clear and reset the thumbnail cache to resolve the issue:

Open Disk Cleanup.
    Check the Thumbnails box and click on OK
    Disk Cleanup will now clear the thumbnail cache and close.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:34 AM