Site admin group unable to change members of a site's group? RRS feed

• Question

• We got a call from a site collection admin.

She set up a SharePoint group called D24 Site Admins. The group has full control on the site collection.

She then went into the sites in the site collection. She wanted to change the members of the site's owner group. She was unable to do so.

When I look at the site permissions, her SharePoint group is listed as full control.

She wants to change the "Site ABC Owners" SharePoint group. When I look at the "Site ABC Owners" group permissions, it says it has Full control, but it also says that it can only be changed by the "group owner" and the group owner is listed as "Site ABC Owners" (the other option was to be able to be changed by the "group members").

When I tried to put "D24 Site Admins" into "Site ABC Owners", I got an error saying that a SharePoint group cannot be put into a SharePoint group.

The only choices I see from here is to replace the "D24 Site Admins" SharePoing group with a Active Directory distribution list (or is there something like groups in AD?) or to take the people who are in D24 Site Admins and individually place them into the Site ABC Owners group.

The former would be a nuisance but probably can be done. The second just makes me shudder, thinking of all the places that will have to be updated every time an admin changes.

Surely there is another option that I don't know about or that I am forgetting?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:06 PM

All replies

• you should have this option on the group settings page :

Regards, Aniket

Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:25 PM
  • That option is on the page. And the group has, as its value, the same type of group and setting.

However, this leaves us with scattering the specific user names for the site admins across many groups.

Scattering droppings of names across 1600+ sharepoint sites seems to be a rather crude way of handling this, but if that's all sharepoint provides, then I guess that's it.

I was hoping that I was missing some reason why someone with full control on a site didn't really have full control.

Friday, October 12, 2012 6:55 PM
  • What i find is if you created a Group(as you have full controls) called ABC then it will put your name as group owners.

So if you want for particular groups to give the ownership change the group ownership to that user group. I also prefer to give ownership based on SharePoint group instead of individual users as this will be easy to maintain and you can roll-over the ownership by changing the users in group.

Regards, Aniket

Monday, October 15, 2012 12:13 AM