none
Failed unregistering callback tracking connected process termination (error: 997). RRS feed

• General discussion

• Failed unregistering callback tracking connected process termination (error: 997).

This error I have seen for some time and here comes an explanation;

When a front-end component connects to the Listener, the Listener opens a process handle to the front-end component, and calls a system API that will automatically monitor for that process handle being signaled (i.e. the process exited), and invoke a callback function in the Listener if that occurs.  If the front-end component disconnected normally, we cancel the monitoring of the handle with another API call.  It appears that when we tried to unregister the callback function in this case, the callback function had already been queued up or was in the process of executing which caused this warning to be reported.

This issue was forwarded to our engineering team for further investigation and the team found no evidence that this warning had any impact on the user or product functionality and it does not require any action from you to either correct it and/or prevent it. As a result of that, this issue will be postponed for future consideration to prevent this warning from being reported.

Monday, December 28, 2009 4:46 PM

All replies

• Thanks for forwarding the explanation. It is as I have always suspected, annoying but perfectly harmless :-)

/Kalle

Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:27 AM
  • ..and still exists, 3 years later, App-V Client 4.6 SP1
    Friday, September 28, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Yep !! - I can confirm that it still exist on App-V Client 4.6.1.30111
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:08 PM
  • To be honest, whilst these are functionally benign, from a reoprting and alerting perspective they are a real flaw. They generate error/warning logs which by default a lot of alerting software picks up so I would persoanlly think this is something that definately needs to be addressed.
    Monday, November 26, 2012 12:06 PM
  • On 28-09-2018, I still see this same warning. Have to agree with the previous two poster, annoying, harmless and should have been addressed ages ago.
    Friday, September 28, 2018 2:25 PM
  • As I suppose you're still talking about appv4, this versions (4.6SP3) mainstream support ended 3 years ago.

Roy Essers

Saturday, September 29, 2018 5:34 PM