none
1511 Client after 1602 + KB3155482 Upgrade

Question

• Hi Guys,

after Upgrading to 1602 + KB3155482 our Console is reporting Client Version 8325 for Production and pre-Production in the Herachy Settings and the Update and Servicing Node. Also the files in the StagingClient folder are not properly updated.

It was fine after the 1602 Upgrade only but we moved Forward to KB3155482 and now we end up like this:

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Sunday, June 05, 2016 7:53 PM

Answers

• I was able to successfully get my clients to 5.00.8355.1306 without doing a site restore. Some of these steps might not be necessary, and I'm sure they're not supported, but here's what I did in my test environment:

1. Copied the contents of the \Client\ folder from a site I had successfully updated with the KB3155482 hotfix to \Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\StagingClient\ and \Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\CMUClient\ on the site with the issue. I found that the ccmsetup.cab, client.msi, and Silverlight.exe files were not successfully updated when KB3155482 was installed on the site having the issue.

2. The "Microsoft Corporation Configuration Manager Client Piloting Package" needs to be updated with the new files on all distribution points, but it doesn't appear in the list of packages in the Software Library, so there is no way to use the console to initiate this. I went to Monitoring > Distribution Status > Content Status, enabled the "Package ID" column, and made note of the Package ID.

3. Opened a Configuration Manager PowerShell console by clicking the down arrow in the top left of the CM console > Connect via Windows PowerShell, and ran the command Update-CMDistributionPoint -PackageID XXX##### to update the piloting package

4. Connected to my CM site database and executed the following:

UPDATE ClientDeploymentSettings SET UpgradeVersion = '5.00.8355.1306' WHERE UpgradeProgramName = 'Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Program'

UPDATE ClientBaseline SET Version = '5.00.8355.1306' WHERE Name = 'Staging Baseline'

5. Used the pre-production client upgrade option in Hierarchy Settings > Client Upgrade to successfully upgrade some test clients

6. Promoted the 5.00.8355.1306 client to production by right-clicking KB3155482 in Administration > Cloud Services > Updates and Servicing and selecting "Client Update Options"

7. Verified that the \Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Client\ folder had all of the right files. If it doesn't, copy in the contents of the \StagingClient\ folder and update the distribution points for the "Configuration Manager Client Package" package.

8. Used the automatic client upgrade option to successfully update all clients to 5.00.8355.1306

Hope this helps you get your site back to normal.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 6:37 PM
  • Base on WreX's fix, I wrote a post about it. there are also printscreens, if you needed. Click here

Sandy

• Proposed as answer by Rich Mawdsley Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by --Marc-- Tuesday, June 28, 2016 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:50 AM

All replies

• Dear Sir,

Please examine the CMUpdate.log and hman.log on your site server to see if there're any errors during update. If the hotfix has been applied without issue, the console and client version should be 5.00.8355.1306.

Best regards,

Jimmy 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 06, 2016 9:21 AM
  • Hello Jimmy,

there is nothing serious to find in the log´s. The updates are reported as installed. The StagingClient\x64\ClientUpdate Folder is empty. I think the KB3155482 MSP should be found here. How can I resolve this afterwards?

Kind regards

Marc

Monday, June 06, 2016 11:18 AM
  • I also am experiencing this issue. After installing the 1602 update, I used a pre-production collection to successfully test client upgrades to 5.0.8355.1000, but I never promoted it to my production client version. My production client version was still at the 1511 version of 5.00.8325.1000 when I installed the KB3155482 update this morning. All logs and version checks confirm that the installation of KB3155482 was successful.

The client version installed by the KB3155482 update is supposed to be 5.00.8355.1306, and I have confirmed that the version of ccmsetup.exe in the \\SERVER\SMS_XXX\CMUClient\, \\SERVER\SMS_XXX\PilotingUpgrade\, and \\SERVER\SMS_XXX\StagingClient\ folders are all 5.00.8355.1306. I configured the client upgrade for a pre-production collection, and confirmed that when clients in that collection attempt to run the client upgrade, they are downloading the 5.00.8355.1306 files, but when they run the command line, ccmsetup.log indicates that the current client version is correct, and it does not perform the upgrade:

Client (5.00.8325.1000) is installed and is the same or lower version. Initiating repair.
    Client installation will be skipped because required version of client is already installed.
    Params to send '5.0.8355.1306 Deployment Error: 0x0

The version of ccmsetup.exe in \\SERVER\SMS_XXX\Client\ is still 1511 / 5.00.8325.1000, because I never promoted the 1602 client as the production client. When viewing the "Client Upgrade" tab of the Hierarchy Settings for my site, it lists 5.00.8325.1000 for both the "Production client version" and the "Pre-production client version" when the pre-production version should be 5.00.8355.1306. I see this same information when right-clicking the KB3155482 update and selecting "Client Update Options". I also found this version information in the "ClientBaseline" table of the site database.

When looking in Monitoring > Distribution Status > Content Status, I see that the KB3155482 update created two new client packages:

Microsoft Corporation Configuration Manager Client Piloting Package (full client folder)
    Microsoft Corporation Configuration Manager Client Piloting Upgrade Package (just ccmsetup.exe)

The previous client packages are named "Configuration Manager Client Package" and "Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Package" without the "Microsoft Corporation" prefix. Could this issue be caused by installing KB3155482 before promoting the original 1602 / 5.00.8355.1000 client as the production client, or could it have something to do with the change to the client package names?

Monday, June 06, 2016 3:21 PM
  • Hello WreX,

thanks for putting more Detail on that. I can confirm the same on my site. It´s was also reproducible in my lab. Without promoting the 1602 to Production it ends up as we described. Look´s to me like an unforeseen situation. The point is how to fix it in a supported way?

• Edited by --Marc-- Monday, June 06, 2016 4:37 PM
    Monday, June 06, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Have you attempted to install the KB3155482 hotfix after promoting the base 1602 / 5.00.8355.1000 client as the production client? I have only installed the hotfix in my lab environment and could just restore it to pre-KB3155482, promote 1602 as the production client, and then install the hotfix.
    Monday, June 06, 2016 5:12 PM
  • How did you remove the KB3155482?
    Monday, June 06, 2016 5:21 PM
  • I have not removed it. However, I have a full site and database backup of 1602 from before the installation of KB3155482, so I could use the site recovery option from the setup in the 1602 media folder (in X:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\cd.latest\) to restore the site prior to the hotfix. I was just curious if you had tested the hotfix installation after promoting the 1602 client as the production version.
    Monday, June 06, 2016 5:40 PM
  • Yes, tested this... After promoting the 1602 Client to production and then install the KB it acts as it should.

There must be some way out without a rollback... It´s not an option for us.

Monday, June 06, 2016 6:03 PM
  • I was able to successfully get my clients to 5.00.8355.1306 without doing a site restore. Some of these steps might not be necessary, and I'm sure they're not supported, but here's what I did in my test environment:

1. Copied the contents of the \Client\ folder from a site I had successfully updated with the KB3155482 hotfix to \Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\StagingClient\ and \Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\CMUClient\ on the site with the issue. I found that the ccmsetup.cab, client.msi, and Silverlight.exe files were not successfully updated when KB3155482 was installed on the site having the issue.

2. The "Microsoft Corporation Configuration Manager Client Piloting Package" needs to be updated with the new files on all distribution points, but it doesn't appear in the list of packages in the Software Library, so there is no way to use the console to initiate this. I went to Monitoring > Distribution Status > Content Status, enabled the "Package ID" column, and made note of the Package ID.

3. Opened a Configuration Manager PowerShell console by clicking the down arrow in the top left of the CM console > Connect via Windows PowerShell, and ran the command Update-CMDistributionPoint -PackageID XXX##### to update the piloting package

4. Connected to my CM site database and executed the following:

UPDATE ClientDeploymentSettings SET UpgradeVersion = '5.00.8355.1306' WHERE UpgradeProgramName = 'Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Program'

UPDATE ClientBaseline SET Version = '5.00.8355.1306' WHERE Name = 'Staging Baseline'

5. Used the pre-production client upgrade option in Hierarchy Settings > Client Upgrade to successfully upgrade some test clients

6. Promoted the 5.00.8355.1306 client to production by right-clicking KB3155482 in Administration > Cloud Services > Updates and Servicing and selecting "Client Update Options"

7. Verified that the \Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Client\ folder had all of the right files. If it doesn't, copy in the contents of the \StagingClient\ folder and update the distribution points for the "Configuration Manager Client Package" package.

8. Used the automatic client upgrade option to successfully update all clients to 5.00.8355.1306

Hope this helps you get your site back to normal.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 6:37 PM
  • Hello WreX,

awesome stuff you figured out! We also had some further testings and disscussions. Obviously the Production Client Folder is used as source during the KB3155482 Update. Since it was still on the 1511 Version, boom... If it would use the cd.latest Folder this wouldn´t happen. This look´s kind of a BUG to me.  We have a Meeting tomorrow to disscuss our further steps. I let you know...

best regards

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 8:03 PM
  • Hey

We got hit with the exact same issue last night...  We couldn't find anything about this issue except through this forum.  I would have to say this is a bug...  We will also be attempting to tackle this tomorrow after a meeting.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 9:16 PM
  • Can one of you please open a bug here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/ConfigurationManagervnext

And zip up all of your site server logs and one site of client logs and attach them to the bug?

thanks!

Tim [MSFT]

Thursday, June 09, 2016 2:20 PM
  • Hi

The page is down.. States "Page Not Found"

Wayne

Thursday, June 09, 2016 2:34 PM
  • Hey guys,

we had our Meeting today and we disscussed the issue. Since we are not facing any real world Problems with the 1511 Client, we are waiting for the next Release or KB and not using the pre-production Feature then. There are a lot of File and Package Hashes in the DB so we do not touch it. Based on the Response on this post this is obviously not hitting much customers, but I would love to hear anything from MS ;-)

Thursday, June 09, 2016 2:51 PM
  • I highlighted this to the Product Group yesterday via https://twitter.com/SCCMentor/status/740640680335310848 and they are aware of it.  But as advised you should log a bug at Connect https://connect.microsoft.com/ConfigurationManagervnext

Cheers Paul | http://sccmentor.wordpress.com

Thursday, June 09, 2016 3:03 PM
  • BUG is reported: https://connect.microsoft.com/ConfigurationManagervnext/feedback/details/2803952

Please vote if you have it too

Thanks Paul for the tweet...
    • Edited by --Marc-- Thursday, June 09, 2016 3:19 PM
    Thursday, June 09, 2016 3:07 PM
  • I was finally able to up-vote the bug submission.  I had to "subscribe" to the Connection before it would like me see the page.  Hopefully we will get a response from them soon; this is kind of a big deal. 

Monday, June 13, 2016 6:10 PM
  • You need a login to see the page. It isn't fixed yet but the product group are aware of it.

Cheers Paul | http://sccmentor.wordpress.com

Monday, June 13, 2016 7:53 PM
  • Is there any fixed form Microsoft yet to solve this issue?
    Sunday, June 19, 2016 9:36 PM
  • MS Closed the bug post we opened and said it was a duplicate, but have not provided that duplicate ticket number so we can track it. 

A client of mine opened a case with MS support and have been told is a known issue and they will update them once there is a proposed fix. 

Monday, June 20, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Kind of wierd. It´s even not only closed but also marked as resolved. Would be great to hear how to apply the fix...
    Monday, June 20, 2016 5:45 PM
  • where is the fix?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 10:13 PM
  • According to Microsoft Support there is no immediate fix and we will have to wait until 1606 is released which resolves this issue.  No time-frame was given on 1606's release date. 
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:51 PM
  • That's a shame. Updated to 1602 to use office 365 updates functionality, and i'm stuck because I installed the hotfix before promoing the client to production...
    Friday, June 24, 2016 4:52 PM
  • 4. Connected to my CM site database and executed the following:

Hi WreX, 

Could you elaborate more on this please..  attempting to run these returns as it's not recognised;

PS XX1:\> UPDATE ClientDeploymentSettings SET UpgradeVersion = '5.00.8355.1306' WHERE UpgradeProgramName = 'Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Program'

UPDATE : The term 'UPDATE' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
    operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path
    is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + UPDATE ClientDeploymentSettings SET UpgradeVersion = '5.00.8355.1306' WHERE Upgr ...
    + ~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (UPDATE:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:28 AM
  • 4. Connected to my CM site database and executed the following:

Hi WreX, 

Could you elaborate more on this please..  attempting to run these returns as it's not recognised;

PS XX1:\> UPDATE ClientDeploymentSettings SET UpgradeVersion = '5.00.8355.1306' WHERE UpgradeProgramName = 'Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Program'

UPDATE : The term 'UPDATE' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
    operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path
    is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + UPDATE ClientDeploymentSettings SET UpgradeVersion = '5.00.8355.1306' WHERE Upgr ...
    + ~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (UPDATE:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Connect to your SQL database, not powershell. Open your SQL Studio Manager, and run SQL query from there.

Sandy

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:33 AM
  • Connect to your SQL database, not powershell. Open your SQL Studio Manager, and run SQL query from there.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy.  I haven't tried but I know you're right.  I saw higher in the post he did a bit in posh and just assumed!

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:39 AM
  • Base on WreX's fix, I wrote a post about it. there are also printscreens, if you needed. Click here

Sandy

• Proposed as answer by Rich Mawdsley Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by --Marc-- Tuesday, June 28, 2016 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 8:50 AM
  • Hy Sandy

follow your guide step by step, but i have other things

My Easysetupfolder has 3 subfolders

as your guide , i use first and second folder

my redist folder of "59bcs34e...." is empty and i use the second "037cd1...."

final sql query is reported below

i redistribute content but situation not change

thanks in advance

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:53 AM
  • Hi guys,

are your clients updating proberly with this SQL tweak? Since there are some Hashes involved I'am worried about how their reactions (unnecessary reinstallations, repairs etc.).

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 10:16 AM
  • "59bcs34e..." is the newest folder, it this the hotfix folder, so redist folder is empty. You should first open "037cd1..." folder (it is the 1602 folder) and copy those files what I mention in the blog, (optional) copy launguage files from redist folder. After that open your "59bcs34e..." folder, copy again those client files what I meation in the blog.

After that update the client packages.

Did you do the step 6 to approve new client version to production?

Sandy

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:30 PM
  • thanks Sandy

in the new folder "59bcs34e" i need to recreate same folder structure as "037cd1" ?

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:53 PM
  • thanks Sandy

in the new folder "59bcs34e" i need to recreate same folder structure as "037cd1" ?

no..don't create or modify anything in EasySetupfolder. You only need to copy those client files from those folders and paste them to your sccm installation path.

Sandy

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:59 PM
  • ok copy and paste following your guide, but situation is the same

use "037cd1..." as a master and copy files from it and paste following your step 2 but none

• Edited by ZenoDJ Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:14 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Sorry, there is mistakes in my post, the folder name where copy to should be "your SCCM installation folder\CMUClient", not "Client". Wondering what happened to my post. Can you try again?

After that update the configuation manager client package. Then do the step 6, you should see the Client folder has newest files, it should automatic copy those newest files from CMUClient folder to the Client folder.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Hi guys,

are your clients updating proberly with this SQL tweak? Since there are some Hashes involved I'am worried about how their reactions (unnecessary reinstallations, repairs etc.).

Client upraged proberly, if they have not run the Client upgrade Task schedule yet. If they have run it already, you might need to push client install or use package upgrade, it might also want to reboot after client upgrade.

Sandy

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:30 PM
  • Sorry, this is mistakes in my post, the folder name where copy to should be "your SCCM installation folder\CMUClient", not "Client". Wondering what happened to my post. Can you try again?

After that update the configuation manager client package. Then do the step 6, you should see the Client folder has newest files, it should automatic copy those newest files from CMUClient folder to the Client folder.

situation was the same, no client update option.....
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:43 PM
  • Sorry, this is mistakes in my post, the folder name where copy to should be "your SCCM installation folder\CMUClient", not "Client". Wondering what happened to my post. Can you try again?

in your printscreen picture, the pre-productioin check box is not checked. you need to enable the pre-production.

Sandy

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 4:06 PM

in your printscreen picture, the pre-productioin check box is not checked. you need to enable the pre-production.

Sandy

oh yes, right... sorry! too mucj click !! ;)

now it seems that we have GOOD situation!

We have also same version and Last modified date......

10 minutes latert production client report new date, probably due to console refresh ??

• Edited by ZenoDJ Tuesday, June 28, 2016 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 4:13 PM
  • Ok so I had to do a little extra to get this all working in my environment after following Wrex\Sandy's guides my clients still were not updating..

When running the client update in any method, client upgrade or even manually, it would always return "5.0.8355.1306 Deployment Error: 0x0," and the client would not install.  There was very little other infomation regarding what was going on.

Upon inspecting the Client folder on the Site Server i could see the dates where different from those in the EasySetupPayload folder.

To resolve, I followed Sandy's post about moving files;

Go to EasySetupPayload folder, you will find two folders inside it. Sort them with time stamp, the older one is 1602 installation media, new one is hotfix KB31554821) Open the 1602 folder:
    1.1) copy all files from “\SMSSETUP\CLIENT\” to “your SCCM installation path\CMUClient\”

1.2) copy msrdcoob_amd64.exe, wic_x64_enu.exe and WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe from “\redist\” to “your SCCM installation path\CMUClient\x64\”
    3)copy ndp452-kb2901907-x86-x64-allos-enu.exe, msrdcoob_x86.exe, silverlight.exe, wic_x86_enu.exe, windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe from “\redist\” to “”your SCCM installation path\CMUClient\i386\”

Open the hotfix folder:
    copy all files from “\SMSSETUP\CLIENT\” to “your SCCM installation path\CMUClient\”, overwrite older files.

Once this was completed again, I then manually copied the contents of CMUClient to "Sccm install path\Client" and forced an update on both the Configuration Manager Client Package and Piloting Package.

Now it's all working as it should and clients are updating.

So in my case, it seems SCCM failed to properly update the Client folder when selecting to make the PreProd client Prod.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:15 AM
  • Hi guys,

check out https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3155482. It´s NOT the actual fix but have a closer look at the install notes.

Saturday, July 09, 2016 2:27 PM

Sandy

Thanks for an awesome post.

But It seems that the hotfix client has no Language Pack for me. The /redist/ folder is just empty. Therefore the new client installs in english. I don't think that this would be a huge problem, since 1606 is coming and it should fix this, but it's a small discomfort for us.

If anyone have solved this issue, It would be great to hear about that. Our site installation language is Russian.

Sunday, July 10, 2016 1:04 PM
  • I have updated to sccm 1606 but still same issue.

The Clint version should be 5.00.8412.1000 (1606 clinet version)

• Edited by Alvi932 Sunday, July 24, 2016 11:48 PM uploaded another image
    Sunday, July 24, 2016 11:42 PM
  • How long have you waited so far? It usually takes some time until the version is updated there.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Alvi932 Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:41 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2016 7:57 AM
  • It takes more than 2 hours to reflect the change (client 1606 version update) after finishing the update.

Is their any manual procedure to expedite the process?

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 10:40 PM
  • I had the same issue, but the Installation Notes in KB3155482 worked for me.
    Friday, July 29, 2016 8:32 AM
  • I had the same issue as well.  The upgrade worked for us.  Clients are slowly upgrading to the newest version as they should.  
    Friday, July 29, 2016 1:00 PM