none
AttachmentTableTotalSize Increasing in Size for Journaling Mailbox Account

Question

• I've come across a weird instance where the journaling account we use to archive our email offsite has ballooned up the database but when you look at the mailbox statistics the mailbox size is normal but the AttachmentTableTotalSize is gigantic.  We have the mailbox policy set to purge Deleted Items every day but it doesn't seem to be clearing out attachments somehow.  I've tried googling what exactly the AttachmentTableTotalSize is but the results seem pretty limited.  Currently the only way I have been able to purge the mailbox is to migrate it do a different database and then migrate it back.  I'm running Exchange 2013 CU 20 and we first noticed the behavior back in CU 19.  I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this and has a better solution than just migrating the mailbox back and forth between databases.

DisplayName                                : Archive
    ItemCount                                  : 4897
    LastLoggedOnUserAccount                    :
    LastLogoffTime                             : 
    LastLogonTime                              : 
    LegacyDN                                   :                                              
    MailboxGuid                                : 
    MailboxType                                : Private
    ObjectClass                                : Unknown
    StorageLimitStatus                         :
    TotalDeletedItemSize                       : 0 B (0 bytes)
    TotalItemSize                              : 760.8 MB (797,788,028 bytes)
    MailboxTableIdentifier                     :
    Database                                   : LOCAL MDB
    ServerName                                 : 
    DatabaseName                               : LOCAL MDB
    IsDatabaseCopyActive                       : True
    IsQuarantined                              : False
    QuarantineDescription                      :
    QuarantineLastCrash                        :
    QuarantineEnd                              :
    ExternalDirectoryOrganizationId            : 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    IsArchiveMailbox                           : False
    IsMoveDestination                          : False
    MailboxMessagesPerFolderCountWarningQuota  :
    MailboxMessagesPerFolderCountReceiveQuota  :
    DumpsterMessagesPerFolderCountWarningQuota :
    DumpsterMessagesPerFolderCountReceiveQuota :
    FolderHierarchyChildrenCountWarningQuota   :
    FolderHierarchyChildrenCountReceiveQuota   :
    FolderHierarchyDepthWarningQuota           :
    FolderHierarchyDepthReceiveQuota           :
    FoldersCountWarningQuota                   :
    FoldersCountReceiveQuota                   :
    NamedPropertiesCountQuota                  : 16384
    MessageTableTotalSize                      : 39.25 MB (41,156,608 bytes)
    MessageTableAvailableSize                  : 18.22 MB (19,103,744 bytes)
    AttachmentTableTotalSize                   : 47.76 GB (51,282,247,680 bytes)
    AttachmentTableAvailableSize               : 32.84 MB (34,439,168 bytes)
    OtherTablesTotalSize                       : 87.22 MB (91,455,488 bytes)
    OtherTablesAvailableSize                   : 1.469 MB (1,540,096 bytes)
    DatabaseIssueWarningQuota                  : 1.899 GB (2,039,480,320 bytes)
    DatabaseProhibitSendQuota                  : 2 GB (2,147,483,648 bytes)
    DatabaseProhibitSendReceiveQuota           : 2.3 GB (2,469,396,480 bytes)
    Identity                                   : 
    MapiIdentity                               : 
    OriginatingServer                          : 
    IsValid                                    : True
    ObjectState                                : Unchanged

Monday, June 11, 2018 3:53 AM

All replies

• Hi PBTAaron,

After you enable the journal rule, mails will be send to the journal account as an attachment, So the value of AttachmentTableTotalSize increase is a normal phenomenon.

You can apply a retention policy to this account to delete older items automatically.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:46 AM
  • Thank you Kyle for helping clear that up for me.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:41 PM
  • Hi Aaron Cerrato,

Any update now?
    If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 1:19 AM
  • Hi Aaron Cerrato,

Haven't received your update for a long time, any update now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Monday, June 18, 2018 1:16 AM
  • Kyle,

I'm not sure my issue is resolved.  I've been monitoring the growth of the datastore that the journaling mailbox is in and the attachmenttablesize is still continuing to grow.  For our journaling mailbox we have a rule to move everything to the deleted items and then we set the retention policy to permanently delete anything in deleted items after 1 day.  We also have the mailbox and database set to "Keep Deleted Items for 0 Days"  So with all of these settings why is the Attachment Table not purging out?  It just continues to balloon up in size every day by a couple of GB?

Monday, June 18, 2018 6:08 PM
  • Hi Aaron Cerrato,

Those mails will exist in the journal mailbox's Inbox folder rather then Deleted items, did you open this journal mailbox and check whether retention policy works and whether those mails still exist?

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 8:06 AM
  • Yes, inbox and deleted items are being purged out of the mailbox per the retention policy but the attachment table for the mailbox just continues to grow.  It doesn't look like those attachments are being flushed out.

Look at TotalItemSize compared to AttachmentTableTotalSize

I've never seen the TotalItemSize be smaller than the AttachmentTableTotalSize?

DisplayName                      TotalItemSize                       TotalDeletedItemSize         AttachmentTableTotalSize
    -----------                          -------------                       --------------------                ---------------
    Archive                        1.049 GB (1,126,603,710 bytes)      0 B (0 bytes)                       74.32 GB (79,80

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 3:31 PM
  • This is the for testing, will be deleting it soon!

Tanmaiyee

Sunday, July 1, 2018 7:34 AM
    Administrator
  • I'm having this exact same issue, only I'm growing at about 3 TB a week.  You can see that TotalItemSize is less than 500 MB and TotalDeletedItemSize is 0 MB 

In my scenario, I have a dedicated Journal mailbox on a dedicated database.  I have a 7 day Retention policy for emptying the Deleted Items folder and the DB DeletedItemRetention is set to 3 days.

The Journaling is happening on a 3rd party system which pulls the message out of the Journal mailbox and hard deletes the message.  The deleted message does not go into Deleted Items.

TotalDeletedItemSize              : 0 B (0 bytes)
    TotalItemSize                         : 464.7 MB (487,232,955 bytes)
    MessageTableTotalSize            : 26.25 MB (27,525,120 bytes)
    MessageTableAvailableSize      : 19.16 MB (20,086,784 bytes)
    AttachmentTableTotalSize   : 3.378 TB (3,714,100,690,944 bytes)
    AttachmentTableAvailableSize : 126 MB (132,087,808 bytes)
    OtherTablesTotalSize              : 59.31 MB (62,193,664 bytes)
    OtherTablesAvailableSize        : 1.531 MB (1,605,632 bytes)

DatabaseSize                         : 3.39 TB (3,727,494,742,016 bytes)
    AvailableNewMailboxSpace      : 96.19 MB (100,859,904 bytes)

I'm on CU16 and the database does not have copies (currently).  I'm in the process of updating to CU20.  I have one server at CU20, but again, it's not hosting a copy of this problematic database/mailbox

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:29 PM
  • Glad I'm not alone in this!  I've got plans to update my environment to CU21 but there wasn't anything specific in the release notes regarding our issue so I will let you know if it helps.
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:58 PM
  • So far the only work around I have is to do a mailbox move to another database.  The deleted attachments do not follow the mailbox move, so this reduces the AttachmentTableTotalSize back to zero, but it just starts growing immediately.  I'm at 700 GB since Aug 2nd (3 days).  

After I move the mailbox, I need to dismount the previous database, and delete all copies of the folders, and remount the database.  

This is not the way to go about this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sunday, August 5, 2018 1:31 PM