An Active Directory Domain Controller could not be contacted RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I encountered this error while trying to change windows 8 & 7 from workgroup to a domain. i've tried all i think i know but just to no avail. 

i will be very glad if anyone in this forum can help me provide a solution to this issue.

NOTE: i have a windows server 2008 with DNS and DHCP running, and 3 windows xp systems are added to the domain already. 

Thanks
    • Edited by Bay4us07 Friday, June 27, 2014 7:57 AM
    Friday, June 27, 2014 7:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Anything updates now?

It seems that the issue was related to DNS. Please make sure that you have pointed the correct DNS server on the client computer. If your DNS server role is installed on the DC, please make sure that your DNS server is pointed to the DC on the computer that you wanted to join the domain.

In addition, you can also check in DNS to see if the SRV record existing or not. If not, please stop and start the Netlogon service to force the DC to re-register the appropriate SRV records.

Furthermore, I would appreciate it if you can feedback to us.

Best regards,

Susie

• Edited by Susie Long Monday, June 30, 2014 6:24 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Friday, July 4, 2014 2:41 AM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

lets start with an unedited ipconfig /all from the DC/DNS servers and a problem client to verify some basic BUT important settings.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, June 27, 2014 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

Anything updates now?

It seems that the issue was related to DNS. Please make sure that you have pointed the correct DNS server on the client computer. If your DNS server role is installed on the DC, please make sure that your DNS server is pointed to the DC on the computer that you wanted to join the domain.

In addition, you can also check in DNS to see if the SRV record existing or not. If not, please stop and start the Netlogon service to force the DC to re-register the appropriate SRV records.

Furthermore, I would appreciate it if you can feedback to us.

Best regards,

Susie

• Edited by Susie Long Monday, June 30, 2014 6:24 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Friday, July 4, 2014 2:41 AM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best regards,

Susie

Friday, July 4, 2014 2:41 AM