Skype for Business iOS App and Active Sync RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone else noticed the mobile SfB app on iOS doesn't work correctly without an exchange mail account setup on the native iOS mail client? When I don't have that setup the SfB push notifications don't seem to function consistently. I know w/o an account setup on the native mail client you cannot send logs in the SfB app.

This came to light after our company started using the Outlook app for iOS.

Does the Skype for Business app on iOS rely on native mail app for push notifications to work correctly?

Monday, September 10, 2018 5:54 PM

Answers

• Hi mercenarygod,

Based on my research, it is not related to your exchange mail account, IOS push notifications is made to the Apple Push Notification Services(APNS) on Port 5223/TCP in an outbound direction.

You also need an Edge server deployed too. Push notifications are not sent directly to the mobile client from the Edge server, instead, notifications are sent to APNS in the cloud, which in turn relays these notifications to the user’s device. Push Notifications are not a reliable form of information delivery. There are no guarantees that the notification will reach the intended device. As far as Skype for Business is concerned, a push notification is a “fire and forget” service with no way of determining the status of the request. There are some allowances for the inevitable drop in mobile service, for instance APNS will attempt to redeliver notifications for a limited amount of time. If this time has elapsed, the notification is lost forever.

You are able to test the push notification service using a synthetic transaction powershell command

Test-CsMcxPushNotification –AccessEdgeFqdn sip.domain.com

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by mercenarygod Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:36 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:12 AM

All replies

• Hi mercenarygod,

Based on my research, it is not related to your exchange mail account, IOS push notifications is made to the Apple Push Notification Services(APNS) on Port 5223/TCP in an outbound direction.

You also need an Edge server deployed too. Push notifications are not sent directly to the mobile client from the Edge server, instead, notifications are sent to APNS in the cloud, which in turn relays these notifications to the user’s device. Push Notifications are not a reliable form of information delivery. There are no guarantees that the notification will reach the intended device. As far as Skype for Business is concerned, a push notification is a “fire and forget” service with no way of determining the status of the request. There are some allowances for the inevitable drop in mobile service, for instance APNS will attempt to redeliver notifications for a limited amount of time. If this time has elapsed, the notification is lost forever.

You are able to test the push notification service using a synthetic transaction powershell command

Test-CsMcxPushNotification –AccessEdgeFqdn sip.domain.com

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by mercenarygod Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:36 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:12 AM
  • That's what I found also while researching but my testing seemed to prove otherwise. I'm very confident our mobile deployment was done correctly and push notifications aren't being blocked by our firewall(s). But putting it into the perspective of "fire and forget" helps me realize it's the nature of the beast. Thanks Leon Lu.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:36 PM