none
Saving tasks and task summaries as templates? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I'm working with a client who has a lot of clearly defined processes (such as UX Wireframe Workshop #1, #2, #3) etc. Not every project features UX, but the ones that do will often have specific components. The same goes for infrastructure, development, support etc.

I'm wondering if there's a way for me to save tasks or tax summary in some sort of library so that when a new project is created, I can read through the Statement of Work and begin creating the project by adding the default tasks/processes to the schedule.

Any advice or an example is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:04 PM

All replies

• THTolleson,

As far as I know the closest thing to what you want is a Project Template. It simply saves the file structure you have so that you can use it as a framework for future similar projects. You will have to manually, or through VBA, redefine the task descriptions, but at least the structure will be in place.

I do not use Project Server but since it is structured toward an enterprise approach it may have a more advanced method of doing what you desire. You could post to the Project Server forum at: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/home?forum=projectserver2010general.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by THTolleson Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by THTolleson Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:20 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:17 PM
  • You can create the project wireframe and then do save as Microsoft Project Template (mpt) format, so next time when you try to create a plan you can pick this template by selecting in File->New->My Templates.

Here are steps - http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/project-help/save-a-project-HA010352311.aspx

Sapna Shukla

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Good to know! That may be the answer, but let me see if anyone else has an idea.

I understand how to save the entire project as a template, but I'd really like to know how to save each task in a library so that they can be added if needed, rather than deleted if not.

I did find a way to add a task using C#, but that's not really creating a library object:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/cc668209.aspx

Tom

• Edited by THTolleson Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:43 PM further explanation
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Tom,

Yeah, I'd like to hear if anyone else has any other clever ways of doing what you want also.

With regard to the library idea, I suppose a macro could be developed that provides a user interface (i.e. Userform) that provides options to select certain tasks from a template file to create a new project file, however, the effort to develop that macro would probably take more effort than simply adding/deleting tasks from the template file manually.

Another approach might be to have a list of tasks in Excel. A user could select the desired tasks on the Excel worksheet and then either use an import map or VBA to create the desired structure in Project.

John

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:51 PM
  • THTolleson --

Yes, there is a way to accomplish what you want to do without using templates.  Here is what you should do:

1. Create the list of tasks for the first component.
    2. Be sure to link the tasks with task dependencies, and to specify summary tasks and milestone tasks as necessary.
    3. DO NOT display the Project Summary Task (row 0) in the project.
    4. Save the project using a name similar to Component One Task List.
    5. Repeat steps #1-4 by creating separate projects containing the tasks for each component and be sure to save each project with a descriptive name.

After you have created projects containing the sets of tasks you need for each component, here is how to create a new project using the component projects:

1. Create a new blank project file.
    2. Select the Task Name cell for the first blank row.
    3. Click the Project tab to display the Project ribbon.
    4. In the Insert section of the Project ribbon, click the Subproject button.
    5. In the Insert Project diaog, navigate to the folder containing your component project files.
    6. Select the component project containing the first set of tasks you want to add.
    7. In the Insert Project dialog, DESELECT the Link to Project checkbox.
    8. Click the Insert button.
    9. When prompted in a dialog to save the changes to the first component project, click the No button.
    10. Select the next available blank row and then continue repeating steps #3-9 for every set of tasks you add from the component projects.
    11. When finished, expand all of the sets of tasks you added (if necessary), beginning with the last set of tasks and working your way to the top of the task list.

The key to making this process work is to DESELECT the Link to Project checkbox, which causes Microsoft Project to insert each project as a set of tasks, rather than inserting the project as a subproject.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:27 AM