SharePoint Immediate Alert Issue: Initial Alert Email goes through; however subsequent email not working RRS feed

• Question

• Folks

I have SharePoint Server 2010 (1 SharePoint Server, 1 Backend SQL Server) (Exchange Server 2003)

I am facing issues with subsequent alert emails, initial alert subscription email works just fine.

I have went through various blogs/MS Articles; however did not get success in resolving this issue. I have done following things....

Outgoing email setting on Central Admin as well as on Web Application seems to be correct,

Alerts are set on Announcement list and affected users holds contribute permission on the list.

Ran following stsadm commands, gives me expected output

STSADM -o getproperty -url http://SiteURL -pn alerts-enabled

STSADM -o getproperty -url http://SiteURL–pn job-immediate-alerts

stsadm -o setproperty -pn job-immediate-alerts -pv "every 5 minutes between 0 and 59" -url http://siteurl

Ran following query on the content database of site

select * from timerlock

got following output
    id        LockedTime                           Lockedby
    1        2012-05-25 22:04:22 390        58F44D1C-2538-4C17-A468-80CAF9366CA2

select * from eventcache where EventData is not null

output of above query shows various pending alerts which did not get processed.

Also tried clearing timer/config cache.

Alert piece was working fine for couple of months; however since last month it stopped working.

Another thing which I noticed was 'Immediate alert timer job' is not at all running in my Sharepoint farm, i tried running it manually from Monitoring > Review Job Definition > Immediate alert job > Run Now.....did not see job running....

I suspect the timer lock or immediate alert timer job might be the cause for issue. No idea how to fix this.

Any help is highly appreciated

Thank you.

James.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:36 PM

Answers

• We opened a support ticket with MS...
    issue got resolved...
    The issue was with 'Immediate alert timer job', Last run time showing as n/a
    ULS Log error: 

OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0798)                    0x08BC SharePoint Foundation          Timer                          7f9q Medium    Job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPImmediateAlertsJobDefinition, id 4b743cb9-da4e-439d-a395-1115cd7cdd15 not applicable, ignoring 92ea903a-037c-4fcb-a1ae-efc8a784c2ef

Issue got resolved by disconnecting the server and then reconnecting it back to Sp Farm.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:37 AM

All replies

• We opened a support ticket with MS...
    issue got resolved...
    The issue was with 'Immediate alert timer job', Last run time showing as n/a
    ULS Log error: 

OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0798)                    0x08BC SharePoint Foundation          Timer                          7f9q Medium    Job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPImmediateAlertsJobDefinition, id 4b743cb9-da4e-439d-a395-1115cd7cdd15 not applicable, ignoring 92ea903a-037c-4fcb-a1ae-efc8a784c2ef

Issue got resolved by disconnecting the server and then reconnecting it back to Sp Farm.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:37 AM
  • Hi James,

I have the similar issue with one of my client. Could you please explain in bit more detail as to what was involved with 'disconnecting the server and then reconnecting it back to Sp Farm.'?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Balas

Monday, August 26, 2013 1:32 AM