disaster recovery license RRS feed

• Question

• hello

question related to "Hyper-V server 2012 R2"

I've a production environment with 4 (four!!!) Windows Server 2012 R2 DATACENTER EDITION ...and you know what I mean...

Now I'm working on old hardware with the goal to create a disaster recovery, using replica of production virtual machine

the question is: am I supposed to buy other windows server licence or is enough Hyper-v server, considering that the VM are licensed under production environment?

thank you in advance

Friday, December 4, 2015 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

" Replicas are actual virtual machines, and they are not the same virtual machines as the ones they are replicating. Therefore, they must be licensed independently of the source virtual machine. The license that you bought for the source virtual machine does not cover the replica."

This comes from:

Microsoft Server Licensing in a Virtual Environment Revisited

And it is confirmed also elsewhere. For example:

Hyper-V Replica Licensing

"If you don't have Software Assurance for your primary site, then you would need licenses for your disaster recovery (replica) virtual machines."

Hope this helps. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by lavez Friday, December 4, 2015 10:19 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2015 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

" Replicas are actual virtual machines, and they are not the same virtual machines as the ones they are replicating. Therefore, they must be licensed independently of the source virtual machine. The license that you bought for the source virtual machine does not cover the replica."

This comes from:

Microsoft Server Licensing in a Virtual Environment Revisited

And it is confirmed also elsewhere. For example:

Hyper-V Replica Licensing

"If you don't have Software Assurance for your primary site, then you would need licenses for your disaster recovery (replica) virtual machines."

Hope this helps. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by lavez Friday, December 4, 2015 10:19 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2015 9:45 AM
  • thank you, Stoyan, your answer is very clear (unfortunately...)

At the end I think I will follow the *reduction* strategy, putting in replica only the essential VM

in this way, I can use 4 standard edition license,  that costs half than a full datacenter

thanks again

Friday, December 4, 2015 10:23 AM